Orphan Rat Help!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dappyappy

I have found myself to be a new mother of another rat. I successfully raised a domesticated baby rat, babykins. She stills lives with me, and in fact will be celebrating her 2nd birthday next month. Now my new little guy, who is also a domesticated rat, was unfortunate and was destined to be fish food. My mothers co-worker has a large-mouth bass. The bass swallowed and spit out the poor, little guy three times! Knowing my family keeps rats, he have him to us.

Now here's the problem. When presented with food, either bottle or dish, he goes super crazy, like he's been starved for days. He then goes into a trance, acting like he's suckling on his mom, except there's nothing there to suck on. I'm worried he may suck in too much air, and become bloated.

I've had him for 10 days now, and estimate he's around 22-24 days old. I feed him every couple of hours, and have one nightly feeding. My past orphan rat I mentioned above never did anything like this durin her kittenhood.

I wanted to know if anyone else had any problems like this. Is there anything I can do for him to make him stop? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading :)

I hate to be a pessimist, and I have no idea if what you describe is a variation of normal in the rat world, but I would be worried about a hypoxic event. If he aspirated any water it may have limited his oxygen for a time. This could lead to neurological damage and he may not be able to suckle properly.

I'm sorry...but what a d!

It kept cutting off my post. Grr.

I'm sorry...but what a d!ck. There are too many alternatives for the actions of this individual to be excused. Wholesale torture of an infant living being-nice.

If he is 3 weeks, I would think that he should be able to start eating formula thickened with baby cereal (kind that says add milk) from a dish
available at all times and changed several times a day.
In addition to the feedings you provide.

Other soft foods as well as blocks might also be good.
Is he all alone or in with another baby?

Do you have a good rat vet?
Any pics?

Yes, I have been feeding him from a dish. He still does that weird air sucking thing. I tried takin pictures for you guys on my phone, but he never stands still for more then a second so I will have to find my digital camera lol. I also have a good rat vet, I was going to talk to him, but thought I would get some more opinions first.

I also hate when people feed there animals live feeders too Sheldon. I see no point of feedin a poor living creature live, especially in water, when you can buy them dead. Really sickens me.

Yes, I have been feeding him from a dish. He still does that weird air sucking thing. I tried takin pictures for you guys on my phone, but he never stands still for more then a second so I will have to find my digital camera lol. I also have a good rat vet, I was going to talk to him, but thought I would get some more opinions first.

I also hate when people feed there animals live feeders too Sheldon. I see no point of feedin a poor living creature live, especially in water, when you can buy them dead. Really sickens me.

Do you have a digital scale and can get a weight on the little one? Weighing him daily once a day, will tell you if he's growing normally.

The air sucking, is it anything like open mouth gasping?

Yes, I have a little scale I use to weigh him. He gains weight everyday, and is in the average range for his age.

As for the gasping thing he does, he opens his mouth and sucks, and puts his paws infront of him and kneeds like a kitten. No gasping sounds, it's just really weird to watch. I will try to maybe take a picture or take a video while he's doing it.

Oh my goodness thats the most horrendous thing I've ever heard of for a live feeder!
Just so angry right now!
First off who has a Bass as a pet? And second LIVE FEEDING underwater!? That's double crap!
Ok calm myself!
Some people I have heard use a paintbrush to ensure the formula goes down properly as they can suck on it or lick it.

Poor baby. Hope you get some results!

Back