• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for a used cage!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzie_x

I have, quite honestly, had the worst luck in finding cages and I'm on a very strict budget at the moment. Since the cage I'm using at the moment doesn't have a secured bottom, I'm desperate to find something I may be able to afford that can comfortably house three to four adult rats.

I originally took in my first rat for a friend of my boyfriends who wasn't aware that he'd have a hard time acclimating his three year old to their new pet. The cage he had purchased was actually a used bird cage which I thought was a horrible idea so I contacted a friend who was able to get me a ferret cage. Only problem was that it came without a bottom so over the last couple of months we've done our best to improvise and, while it works, it's such a pain in the butt to take apart and clean as often as their cage needs cleaning.

I'm a new rat owner with three adult rats who I've fallen in love with. They're my babies.. However, I simply cannot afford a new cage and no one on craigslist seems to be willing to get rid of theirs.

I live in West Michigan. Anyone?

Bird cages can actually be pretty good for rats so you may want to start looking for those too. The biggest things to make sure of are that there are at least 2 sides with horizontal bars for climbing, that those bars are 0.5in for females and up to 1in for males, and that any food/water windows could be secured.

I use a bird cage for my psycho rat since she won't play nice and get to go in the dcn.

Last edited:
Back