oh no.. the dreaded lump..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrowfs

Rat Princess
hey, everyone. i've just joined this forum, not only for this issue, but because i've been wanting to meet other people who adore rats as i do.

now to my issue here.
i've found a lump on scrambles.
i found it yesterday, and it was about the size of a grape, now it's gotten significantly larger. i really can't afford spending $200+ to get it removed, so i'm a little stuck on what i should do. i know that it will keep getting bigger, so i'm here to ask for opinions on what people think that i should do. i'm also curious as to whether you guys think it's an abscess or tumor.

i got scrambles from a pet store earlier this year, in march. she was supposed to be a feeder rat and i thought it'd be nice to save one. she's always been a little skittish since i got her, but with lots of tlc, she's come around pretty well. she was fully grown when i got her, so i'm not completely sure of her age. she had a little respiratory problem when i first got her, she sneezed a lot. it's gotten better, but occasionally she still has sneezing fits.

the lump isn't hard, if i were petting her normally i wouldn't feel it. there isn't any dis-coloring or scabs/sores on the lump.

so, my questions;
-since i can't afford to get it removed, what would be the best thing to do for her?
-do you think it's an abscess or tumor?

skxsah.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a mammary tumour. Someone on here may be able to help with alternatives. I know there is a drug that can shrink tumours but I don't remember what it is called, not if it will shrink this particular kind of tumour. If she is in good health a spay could prevent more from cropping up, though the earlier in life it is done, the less chance you have of more tumours.

Does she live with other rats?

Is there a rescue in your area you could contact for advice on the matter?

i assumed that is was a mammary tumor, but was hoping that it might be something less serious.

i have one other female rat that's a little over a year old that i got last august, and she's in great health, i've never seen her with any sort of respiratory problems or any other illnesses.

i've searched online for rescues, but i couldn't find any within a decent distance.
i'll call a few local vets tomorrow to try to get a price and hope that i can find someone to do it for under $150, but i really can't afford anything over that and i don't have anyone else to help me out.

It's unfortunate that you can't afford a removal. The sooner the better because it will just keep growing. Some rats have survived a few months with their large tumours. I'm so sorry.

How quickly did it grow? You said it was a size of a grape yesterday, but has gotten significantly larger in one day? It may be an abscess then. You can try applying warm, moist compresses to the lump and see if anything comes to a head on the surface, like a red spot or area of pus. You could also have a vet do a fine needle aspiration of the lump to determine if the lump is cancerous or not. Often abscesses grow quickly.

As for what to do; sometimes a steroid can help shrink a lump for a while; you'd have to ask your vet to try. You can also try the Budwig diet of 1 tbsp cottage cheese blended well with 1 tbsp organic flax seed oil, a sprinkle of curcurmin, Coriollus versicolor mushroom powder (from any health food store; use 1/4 capsule daily in the cheese mix); I've had success shrinking tumors with this before, sometimes more success than others, but certainly worth a try. Goji berries soaked and a few added to that mix also seem to help.

Although surgery will remove the tumor, I've often seen them grow right back in the same or another area on the rat; as one vet said to me, sometimes the body just gets 'programmed' to produce these things and surgery is simply removing the symptom, not the cause of the tumors. A spay might help.

Anyway, try the warm compresses and see if anything comes out of the lump or forms a spot that looks like it might open; tumors won't do this. Take it from there, but a vet check would be a good thing to help determine exactly what it is.

Back