Loud Breathing/a little sneezy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyrat

So one of my babies, Ty, seems to be breathing a bit loudly today. I have a had a rat before that's had Myco, and I think he sounds different than my other one did. It's not quite wheezy, it sounds more like a dog who is sniffing something, and I can't hear it all of the time. He has been a little sneezy the past couple of days, although I figured that was probably just new home sneezes since I only got him on Monday night. There hasn't been any porphyrin around either his nose or eyes either. He is a bit less rambunctious than the other baby, although I wasn't sure if that was just a personality trait.He did just start doing a squeakier sneeze today. I took a short video of that. Let me know what you guys think.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBp6MwfC6g&list=UU-tF2n1HT--z6u16HtojLLg&index=1[/ame]

Although it's normal for them to have some sneezing when coming to a new environment, if you're hearing any noise with the breathing, it's best to have a vet who is rat-saavy do an exam and probably get him onto something like azithromycin and perhaps doxy with that. Better to treat for two to three weeks than to let it go and have it get worse.

I'll monitor him over the weekend and see if I notice it continuing or worsening. There are definitely no fragrances in the room though, as I am doing a senior thesis on organic living. Thanks for the advice

I always advocate taking any new rats to the vet even if they don't seem to have any health problems. It's a great opportunity to have your veterinarian establish a baseline exam and your vet could also discover some potential problems you may not have noticed.

That's fantastic you're doing a senior thesis on organic living!

Well it seems like we'll be taking a family trip to the veterinarian this week. I'm not sure if these guys are affected by the change in weather like we are, but just when the temperature dropped a bit and it started to get rainier Murphy decided to turn his occasional sneeze into the sniffles. I think I'll take this as an opportunity to just take them all in and get them checked out.

Ty has definitely gotten worse over the weekend. This afternoon he seems pretty lethargic. He'll eat fine and is drinking, but he sleeps a ton. When he's not sleepin he's grooming himself, and he seems to want to stay in the same area of the cage all of the time. I'm definitely making a call to the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

I think it's good you'll be getting him checked out. It's true some rats feel the change in seasons but if your gut is telling you it's more then it's best to see a vet.

Hope your able to take Ty to the vet ASAP. Respiratory disease can advance rapidly and can usually be managed by medication.

I've had pet rats for 24 years now and I've been amazed at how they each make such different sounds when exhibiting respiratory symptoms. I don't think I've had any two rats make the same sound. If a rat makes ANY sound while breathing (even if different from your last rat who had mycoplasma) then he or she should be checked out by a veterinarian.

Keep us posted! Sending healing, healthy wishes for Ty!

Contacted my veterinarian this morning since she is out on Mondays, and am bringing Murphy and Ty in on Friday. I will already be there shadowing with her (I'm a pre-veterinary student), so it was more convenient to bring them in then. She assured me that as long as they are eating, and they are just as big of pigs as always, that they would be fine until then.

Back