Hello Everyone!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somatrasiel

Hi Everyone,

I just joined and don't actually own any rats. However, I do intend to get some rat friends and wanted to get the community's comments and thoughts since I've never owned a rat at all! So, I would appreciate any thoughts and any recommendations for breeders in the Los Angeles area!

Thanks!

I should warn you, as a forum, we don't really support breeders. We are very focused on rescue, since there are so many rats who very much need homes already. We are always willing to point you in the right direction on that front.

Now, that out of the way.

Rats are incredible. There is nothing like them. They are happiest and healthiest in groups. A lone rat is often a very sad rat, so at least two (of the same sex or altered) is a must. Introducing two rats who aren't already bonded is a process, so if you get two from different places, be sure not to immediately toss them together, as the results could be bad. There's a lot of advice here on intros, so we'd be more than willing to help you out with that, if the time comes. Rats all have different personalities and react differently to new environments, so don't worry too much if they seem shy at first. Be patient. Allow them to explore their new home. Make sure they are in a safe area without cords or plastic things they could eat. Some are very affectionate and people-oriented, and some are not. Their little personalities become apparent after a little bit of time with them.

The best diet for them is a solid lab block (not a fiesta mix of food) and fresh fruits and veggies. If you have any questions on what fruits and vegetables are good for them, there should be threads on diet, and people here are willing to help you along the way. They need a roomy cage. A lot of the cages pet stores give as starter cages are too small. I have a Critter Nation and I love it, just as a suggestion. Lots of space for them to play.

You need to check out vets in your area beforehand. It's been a nightmare for me, trying to find good exotic vets, so it pays to have one lined up before you need one. And you will need one. Rats are wonderful, but their health can be delicate. They are prone to respiratory illness, and those need to be dealt with immediately. Make sure a vet you might go to is one who understands, for instance, that 10 days of antibiotics just isn't going to cut it for your babies. Tumors are another concern you might need a vet for. Spays and neuters are possibilities and you would need a vet with some experience for that. You probably won't be having vet emergencies frequently, but stash away a little money as an emergency fund.

That's about all I have off the top of my head. Really, this is an amazingly helpful forum. People are very supportive and kind. You will be able to find any of the info you need here. Congratulations on deciding on rats as pets. They are truly the best. Hopefully soon you have some fur babies to share here. We love pictures and updates.

Hi and welcome. There are several rescues in CA I think. Hopefully one of them will have some new little rat friends for you to adopt. You've come to a good forum for advice and questions.

Welcome and good on you for doing your homework ahead!
We definitely focus on rescues here which you can find them in your area on the US rescues page.

Welcome to the Rat Shack. There is so many info. The most important I would say is make sure you have more than one same sex friends. Three would be ideal.
I too strongly recommend looking at shelters and rescues near you. Saving a life/lives is so rewarding!

Back