Breeding??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totalreject

Hi guys :)

I've had rats for the past 12 (soon to be 13) years and I was wondering about breeding. I've read the best way to get into it is by having a mentor but I wasn't sure how I should go around finding one.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this on here so apologies if not.

This is a rescue-only forum so we won't be able to help you. I would join and post on Goosemoose as there are many ethical breeders there, and possibly some from the UK.

If you have any ratty issues, or just want to put up pics of your sweet babies, this is the place :D

Hi Total,

There are an awful lot of unwanted and abandoned rats out there that need homes and too many people wantonly breeding them...is there a specific reason you want to bring more rats into the world? Just asking.

It is true that there are many rats in the world that need homes. It's also true that this is a rescue based forum and that this isn't the place to be asking for help with breeding.

However it sounds like you want to do things right. You have a lot of experience with rats. If you are considering breeding because you would like to improve the species then perhaps you may make a good breeder one day.This type of breeding would involve *proper* pedigrees and lots of knowledge on genetics, etc.

Here is a link to get you started http://bvrattery.wordpress.com/the-virtual-mentor/ I would read as much information as possible before finding a mentor. I have had rats for over a decade but once I got into reading everything I realized I wasn't ready yet.

It's great you are doing things in the right way it seems. If you continue to do things in the right way you could have some potential.

Thank you, I will have a look at the link now.

I would be an ethical breeder with the hopes of creating a strong and healthy line, so many rats have awful health problems due to poor breeding. I would not be a 'BYB' as many people seem to be, I do not wish to breed unnesessarily, I would only breed to keep the line going.
The reason I want a mentor is because this is completely new to me, although I am experienced with rats as an owner breeding is a new venture all together and its not something I have rushed into.
I have been researching genetics for a while now, I am no expert and still learning everyday but to me thats the exciting thing about it, I know some people will think I may rush into it straight away if I manage to find a mentor but its not the way I want to go around things...I will be taking my time and making sure I have learnt as much as I possibly can.

It does sound like you wish to be an ethical breeder and that you are taking the right steps so far. I agree that if you want to breed a mentor is definitely important. I see you are in the UK while you are welcome here you may want to look into a uk based forum preferably one for breeders or where breeding topics are welcome.

I am a lover of all rats regardless of where they come from but this forum specializes in rescuing rats.

Back