Help! Mites!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtattooedgirlx

Im so upset my young hairless rat has mites and her wounds are getting worse day by day. Every vet I call around me doesnt treat rats or its going to be like $100 to treat it and I dont have that kind of money. I feel awful that she is so tore up and I cant fix it right now. Does anyone know of anything you can do besides going to a vet to treat mites?! HELP! PLEASE!

You need kitten revolution perhaps someone you know has some otherwise you need to get it from a vet. If we knew where you were perhaps someone could refer you to an exotics vet.

How do you know she has mites? Food or environmental allergies can also cause skin problems.

I agree with dspch911---If you can tell us what city or town you live in, someone here may be able to recommend a good vet. There are many online directories from which you can find recommendations for good rat veterinarians. Not knowing where you live, here's one for the mid-west and eastern US: [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html[/B][/COLOR]

I do think it's important to have your rat seen by a veterinarian. There could be additional health problems going on about which you may be unaware. Having an exam performed by a veterinarian who is knowledgeable about rats can help you stay on top of potential problems and even help prevent further health complications down the road.

In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, you can trim your rat's nails. This will help reduce self-injury when your rat is scratching himself. Here's a post that includes how to trim your rat's nails in case you need some tips. The back nails are especially important to keep trimmed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Please at least add country and prov., or state to your profile

Although problems can have many causes, you are correct, first treat for mites as it is usually the problem

Do not allow anyone to do a skin scrapping - very painful and results worthless
Just treat with kitten revolution from a vet (other similar products are not good enough and may harm your rattie)
Amount given is based on weight so you will want to get a digital postal or kitchen scale that measures accurately to 1 gram

Sorry I didnt realize my location wasnt on here. My mom has worked with animals her whole life and was positive she has mites. She fosters for the local shelter and asked the vet they work with and they gave her a little frontline and told her how much and she put it on her. I havent noticed or heard her scratching as much since so Im really hoping this does the trick. I felt so bad for her

Most people wouldn't recommend Frontline... Revolution is much safer for rats and usually just one drop/month on the shoulders. But if she's already been dose I wouldn't mix the two.

Back