My rat has early signs of back leg paralysis.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lourice

I took him to the vet today and she said that she can't say for sure whether it's spine degeneration, a spinal tumour, or what else it is but, basically, his back legs have started dragging a bit when he walks.

i've put his food on the bottom of his cage, as well as his water. whenever i let him out to play, he just goes into my drawer and chills there, doesn't really move or play around much.

he bruxes a lot when i cuddle him and he seems like a happy little guy, i just want to know if anyone here has any experience with this and can maybe share some tips on how i can make him more comfortable and maybe slow down the process.

she prescribed me tylenol syrup, 1-2 mg/ml diluted in water or 40 mg of Aspirin in water every 48 hours.

i'd love some insight on this issue from rat parents more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. it's just so stressful.

He's an approx. 2.5 year old male, neutered, siamese rat.

It is very common for senior rats to get HED (Hind End Degeneration).
I don't think there is any one cause, but I have had many rats with this condition. I do not give them any medication. I just make the cage handicapped accessible. I do keep the ramps in the cage because they will still go up and down the ramps, but I lower them and cover them. With this condition, their front end is still normal and they still eat normally, but with their elbows on the table. LOL.
If your rat is showing other odd behaviours or losing a lot of weight, then he may have something else going on like a pituitary tumour.
You should check him regularly for penis plugs because they have a harder time with grooming and the plugs can be very serious and even life-threatening if bad enough.

It is very common for senior rats to get HED (Hind End Degeneration).
I don't think there is any one cause, but I have had many rats with this condition. I do not give them any medication. I just make the cage handicapped accessible. I do keep the ramps in the cage because they will still go up and down the ramps, but I lower them and cover them. With this condition, their front end is still normal and they still eat normally, but with their elbows on the table. LOL.
If your rat is showing other odd behaviours or losing a lot of weight, then he may have something else going on like a pituitary tumour.
You should check him regularly for penis plugs because they have a harder time with grooming and the plugs can be very serious and even life-threatening if bad enough.

I hope you don't mind but i'm about to ask you a buttload of questions because i have no experience with this at all and I want to make sure i'm doing everything I can:

- the vet says she can't feel any tumours but that he lost a little weight, she says he's not skinny just weighs a little less. he's still his happy little self except he spends a lot of time just sitting or not moving around when he's out of his cage. is this normal?

- how quickly does this progress? is there any way in which i can slow it down?

- how will i know when it's affecting his quality of life?

i'll probably ask more questions later but this is what comes to mind

The way you have to think of it is, he is just a little old man. He might need a cane for a while, then a walker, and perhaps a wheelchair. We humans put so much emphasis on things like mobility. Rats don't care like we do. It is just his new normal. As long as he can get to the food and water, and get out for lovin's and skritches, then all is good. (And you take care of the things he can't, like penis plugs). I have never euthanized a rat because they have HED. It is always something else that takes them to the Bridge. Just like a person never dies from being in a wheelchair. It is always something else.
The thing we worry about is that some rats start having problems getting around when they have a pituitary tumour. This shows up more in the front end though, and they have problems eating. That is why you should keep an eye on his weight. HED does not lead to excessive weight loss.
Give your boy a snuggle for me!

The way you have to think of it is, he is just a little old man. He might need a cane for a while, then a walker, and perhaps a wheelchair. We humans put so much emphasis on things like mobility. Rats don't care like we do. It is just his new normal. As long as he can get to the food and water, and get out for lovin's and skritches, then all is good. (And you take care of the things he can't, like penis plugs). I have never euthanized a rat because they have HED. It is always something else that takes them to the Bridge. Just like a person never dies from being in a wheelchair. It is always something else.
The thing we worry about is that some rats start having problems getting around when they have a pituitary tumour. This shows up more in the front end though, and they have problems eating. That is why you should keep an eye on his weight. HED does not lead to excessive weight loss.
Give your boy a snuggle for me!

Thank you so much, you've made me feel tons better about this. I'm just such a paranoid rat mama haha

will it progress quickly? or is it different for every rat?

should i expect him to lose full mobility of his back legs in like a month or more?

again, thank you for answering all my questions

The progression is different for every rat. Thinking back on it, I do not recall a fast change, but rather a very slow decline over many months. It's not something you really notice until you realize 'oh, you can't get into the hammock anymore? Let me lower it down so you can step into it.' Stuff like that. Aside from their physical limitations, everything else is normal.

At present I have 3 brothers in various advanced stages of hed and their sister is starting to drag her back legs now too.
Using soft bedding, keeping the cage extra clean, making sure they have easy access to food and water are important.
I also give my ratties mush made of blocks soaked in cool water as it is easier to eat and helps keep them hydrated

You may need to help him clean himself as some places become hard to reach and check for pens plugs, especially if he is not neutered.
Give him lots of cuddles and attention because hed is a reminder tat our ratties are elderly and will not be with us forever

Back