Best food?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakw

What's the best food that I can get my girls at a regular pet store? I feed them yogurt treats n fresh vegetables a couple times a week too. Right now I'm feeding them kaytee brand "healthy support diet". Is that good?

Oxbow Regal Rat is available at most pet stores. I'm guessing that Kaytee is a mix of seeds and dry veg? A block food is th best choice.

Oh I thought they discontinued that Kaytee block food. I used to feed that at the beginning. I found their poop smelled really bad on it. The Oxbow cleared that up a lot. Even the hamster extrusion is ok for them.

Another vote for Regal Rat. I've read some rats aren't fond of it, but my boys eat it up. I think the shape really helps too as its not as awkward as actual blocks.

I'll cast a vote for Oxbow as well. If you order it from somewhere like pet food direct it's usually cheaper than buying at a Petsmart or petco. Just freeze bags until ready to use.

Oxbow regal rat is a great one. I feed my rats that and Harlan Teklad (can only order online it seems). I like feeding a mix of two types because it gives them the option, and plus I know if one food is not as nutritionally balanced as the other, that they will balance out together. But it's totally not necessary to feed two types, either!

Also feel free to make a dry mix of healthy treats so they have some alternative food every now and then (feed a couple times a week). I use suebee's mix as a rough guideline. It's not nutritionally complete on its own, but it's an easy treat to give them when I'm too tired to make them some elaborate treat. Also, freeze dried fruits and veggies are great for those late nights when your rats are BEGGING for something besides a boring food block, but you're too tired to cut up actual veggies/fruit. Just remember to feed fresh foods too! Nothing beats a ripe banana or some brocolli, my rats say! Also, frozen veggies are a hit (especially on hot days).

Long post, lol, hope that helps though.

Back