Foul odor coming from penis

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmen

My 3 1/2 year old dumbo rat has the worst odor coming from his man area. The area looks swollen and the little pink sheath isn't there. Now, it's a hole and the lump around the hole is hard and is about the size of a marble, or a little smaller. There is hardened yellow crusty stuff up in there. I have been cleaning the area, and managed to get some of the crusty stuff out last night. The smell is awful. I have tried to google this, and can't find any answers on what it could be, or is! I am very concerned I know it is uncomfortable for him, he does not like the area to be touched. He actually bit me while I was trying to soften the crusty stuff so it would drain. I wish I could upload a lic, but my camera is broken. Does anyone know what this could be? PLEASE HELP!!!:new::!??!??!:

"Slight pressure applied in this way allows you to move the preputial skin back to expose the penis and therefore see if there is a plug". I did this and when i put pressure, it does not even expose the penis. All you see is a hole and all this yellow build up. I got some of it out last night with small tweezers, but he did not like the process. I soaked it for a while first, to soften the crust. But there is still a lot in there. It's like his penis is drawn up in the hole and you can't see it for the crust. I appreciate your quick response. I have had many rats, and never had this happen. I have noticed him dragging his back feet here lately. I have had a female with hind leg paralysis, and I read that penis plugs can cause them to drag their feet.

If he's had the penis plug for awhile it can cause real problems, infection, urinary tract infection as the urine can become blocked from getting out.

Get that penis skin down and clean out the poor lad.

See if the ratballs site instructions help you. Just keep pushing to get that penis out, when they are all stuffed up like that it will take more effort. Use your fingers not tweezers because it will hurt less.

Thank you. I will go to that site for directions. I got some big chunks out last night. Now it looks like there is a lot more, but it looks like it's closer to the surface!

What might help is if you soak his bottom half in a warm bath for ten or fifteen minutes. This might help soften up some of the plug and make it easier to come out.
Good luck! Your little man will appreciate your efforts when he's cleaned out!
If it is hurting too much, you might consider taking him to the vets and getting them to gas him down so it can be totally cleaned out.
After this hurdle you will need to do penis maintenance every day for the rest of his life to prevent this from happening again. The joys of old man rats. :)

Plugs keep building up and can need cleaning as often as every couple hours. I find it easier to put the rattie's back against my tummy or chest and then push the skin back to expose the penis and get the plug out.

Thank you to all that helped me last night. His penis was not even visible. There was a hole about 3-4mm in diameter. The surrounding area was about the size of a marble, and hard. And all around his genital area, as far out as both hind legs and as far up as the bottom of the ribs was just hard to the touch. I got a cloth and cotton balls, soaked the hole and area in warm water for about 20 minutes, then got some Q-Tips and soaked them in water and put the whole tip inside the hole (it fit easily, that's how big the hole was). Then I started pulling chunks out of the hole. (They were very smelly). After about 10-15 chunks the size of a pencil eraser, some bigger, I thought it was almost over. Then I saw more, so I kept pulling these huge chunks out (some the size of marbles, but not perfectly sphere). This lasted almost an hour. He was such a trooper! Said & done, there were no more hard places, the swelling was gone, and his penis was visible again. I cleaned with antiseptic, and triple antibiotic ointment, and it's like he is his old self. He is eating, drinking, kissing, playful. I have sanitized it a few times today. There is a little redness, but no swelling. It's like he knew I was trying to help him, cause he fought me for like 5 minutes, then just let me do what I had to. He slept with me last night, and nuzzled with me all night. And it seems like he isn't dragging his hind legs anymore. I think there was just so much blockage, it was affecting his hind legs, him urinating, etc. I'm so thankful for the advice I got from you all. And my lil one says "thanks" too. I know just the pressure being gone feels better. :cookie2::mouse2ud2:

Wow, sounds like a massive plug. At his age I would imagine it hard to clean down there. So glad you were able to help him out! He must feel loads better.

You will probably need to check often for plugs with him. I would also keep smelling and watch his urine, just in case all that gunk caused a UTI.

A UTI or plug (that size) is very painful and will make them stop walking around. Glad you got that out. :clapping:

Thanks to all of you for helping my Sir Fats A Lot (he is a little chunky). He is acting normal, and I have cleaned the area multiple times, and his penis is now visible. There is not any swelling. The smell is gone. His cage is clean (just in case any of that nastiness drained). He is eating and drinking. I honestly never thought I was going to get it all out. Every time I thought it was the last chunk, I saw more. It took about an hour to get it all. Some of the pieces were bigger than a marble. He was so strong, and let me help him. So, I'm about to check him, and make sure no more has built up since last night, and clean him. I have had several pet rats, but have never seen this, so you all helped me a lot. I had no idea what I was dealing with. So, now I know that since he is becoming an old man, I will have to keep a check on it from here on out! And, he was rewarded with chocolate for being such a trooper while I operated on him for an hour! He will be sleeping with me again tonight!:thankyou::mouse2ud2:

I would stop cleaning, and especially using antiseptic on such a tender area. That could hurt.

Just use warm water from now on if you must clean, but check him for plugs daily from now on, so this crazy buildup doesn't happen again.

Oh my gosh that sounds unbelievably painful. Can't believe that all fit in there.

@SQ: you said unneutered boys can get them. Does that mean I don't have to worry about my neutered fat man rat getting them?

Fortunately I have not had to deal w/ a penis plug yet ....:watching:

My boys are about 18 mos old. Should I just check them even if I do not see / smell any problems going on?

Fortunately I have not had to deal w/ a penis plug yet ....:watching:

My boys are about 18 mos old. Should I just check them even if I do not see / smell any problems going on?

I started catching my boys every so often after they hit the 18 month point. When sick and/or if they are large boys I check more frequently. I checked Peanut during his eye issue and Throttle with this facial lumps. My PT boys always had them too.

Norry needed to be checked twice a day (intact male over the age of 2) He got plugs building up that fast. The good thing is, the earlier you catch it the easier it is to remove, when it's still soft and liquid-y. Wipes off easily with a lint free napkin or bit of paper towel or damp wash cloth.
guess you could use an unscented baby wipe as well, just very gently near those genitals, or "gentles" as my nephews would say when they were younger. hahaha

My 3 boys are quite large ( fat ) so I think I will do a check this weekend - Oh boy , can hardly wait :confused:

Oh my gosh that sounds unbelievably painful. Can't believe that all fit in there.

@SQ: you said unneutered boys can get them. Does that mean I don't have to worry about my neutered fat man rat getting them?

Neutered boys do not usually get them.

I have had a lot of neutered boys and none ever had penis plugs .... but it is always a good idea to keep an eye out when boys become old and when they develop hed, etc

Back