Buying Baytril + Doxy online?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumblesquid

Hey shackers...

To start off, I'll mention why I need the Baytril and Doxycycline. My vet prescribed the combo for two weeks only, I was supposed to call and tell them how my rats were doing to tell them if I need more, I didn't, and now I need more. I cannot call the practice because the vet moved clinics. The vet is much further from where I am now.

So I have two options, 1. Find another vet, or 2. Order some online.

Here are the websites I was considering ordering from:
Doxy: http://www.allivet.com/p-3532-bird-biotic-doxycycline-100mg-powder-packets.aspx
Baytril: http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php

I have MANY questions and concerns regarding buying the meds online.

First off, is it safe? Do you think the meds will be of the quality I need?

Secondly, how the heck do I mix up the stuff? I want to be as precise as possible! The stuff online is SUPER concentrated and I don't want to overdose my ratties.

Lastly, do you think there are other risks with buying online? I'm not concerned about my card number getting stolen, the sites have good WOT ratings and other rat people have ordered from the websites (this one rat facebook group suggests ordering from those sites).

I just figured I should check in with the Rat Shack members because you guys are my "go to" for rat advice. Thanks in advance.

People here aren't going to recommend buying online. You can never be sure what you are getting, if it is expired or not or if you are even treating the right thing. People shouldn't self-medicate. That being said, I have bought baytril 10% from Lady Gold Finch in the past. I can't speak for the other site or doxy. The baytril I got expired in 12 months and worked for my needs. I used it for emergency dosing when we couldn't get to the vet for a few days. It came in handy. My vet would not give me some to "just have on hand". This is how I mixed it for a rat getting 0.1ml of baytril

0.1ml baytril
0.07ml strawberry nesquik
0.03ml distilled water

I mix the strawberry nesquik and distilled water before hand and keep that in a separate bottle. Then I fill up the syringe with 0.1ml baytril 10% and 0.1ml of the nesquik/distilled water mixture for every dosing. It MUST be mixed with something sweet.

The shipping from LGF took longer than it said, I believe it was 3 weeks. So I do NOT recommend ordering online if you need it right now. I had it as a back up only, I probably still have it around somewhere.

Make sure you leave it in the dark bottle or it doesn't work properly (or so I was told).

Last edited:
Hi Fumblesquid,

I completely agree with simonsmom about it not being a good idea to buy meds online.

Sounds like you're in a tough situation....were you able to find a solution? I would think it would be a good idea to go ahead and see a new rat vet in your area. That way your rats can get a recheck and the vet can decide if s/he wants your rats to continue on the baytril/doxy. Your new vet may even recommend something different or to add in nebulization.

In case it's helpful, here's a link to some of the reasons why it's not a good idea to purchase medications online. Many of these reasons were already mentioned by simonsmom and you were already questioning the idea of buying online.

Hope you were able to get some help.

I only partially agree. Some of the medications come directly off of human pharmaceutical lines and can be identified using a pill identifier online. This is not true for all of them, however.

I only partially agree. Some of the medications come directly off of human pharmaceutical lines and can be identified using a pill identifier online. This is not true for all of them, however.

There are a lot of counterfit drugs out there now and you have no idea how the drugs were stored. Those are some of the biggest risks.

Hello again! Sorry I was neglecting this thread, I made the choice to NOT purchase meds online. I just don't know the quality of the medication, and would rather find a vet. I found one but need to figure out a ride to the clinic, is all. The rats' infection is staying stable (not noticeably worse or better), but they still need to be seen of course. Thank you for the replies, they all helped me make my decision.

Back