Sheldon's furbabies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Rataholic
Ok so I am posting way too often in the random picture thread. I figured it was time to have a thread for my gang. For starters, it was Sheldon's 1st birthday today. She was my original rat. She had a blast and even shared her cake! Yes...it was real cake but a very tiny piece. She loved it!!

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

DSCN0416.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN0419.jpg

DSCN0418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh - I just LOVE her . She looks like my Doodles.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHELDON !!!
& MANY MANY MORE !!!

:happyb-day:​

You're right! I looked at the pic of Doodles and she definitely does. There is a little boy rat on here somewhere that someone has that looks similar too. Well if it's perfect have a bunch like it, right?

Last edited:
Hey! Happy Birthday pretty Sheldon! :b-dayrat:

What a special birthday girl she got to be for her big day! Great photos and it looks like the other bubs even got to have a taste of cake too! Thanks for sharing the photos, they put a smile on my day!

Ok so Raj got spayed with several others 9 days ago. Today she is very bloated. The panic in me was screaming that she had peritonitis, but I think it has been too long for that. I started her on Amoxil anyways just in case. The next panic was oh God, she has late onset mega colon. How late can it show up? Her belly is soft and no weird poos. Thoughts?
8c90c29758540e14512160e09690c55b.jpg
38c12033f6bea4a08602b4094f9a407f.jpg
5fe499694e78f353c3f9550e5149ab38.jpg
077af55c33b0a8fe58b02a6323590572.jpg

Oh my gosh, I wish I was more knowledgeable about the world of spaying, but I haven't a clue. (I have never had girl ratties). :( But I hope you get some good advice and opinions! I am sure you will...this IS the Rat Shack after all!

I hope your sweet girl is okay! Keeping my fingers crossed for her. :heart:

I would be very concerned about her bloating in such close proximity to having been spayed. I would have the vet check her ASAP and possibly take an x-ray or do an ultrasound. I would do the antibiotics just in case because if this is an infection, it is very serious. Fingers crossed there is a simple explanation.

So she said to add Baytril to the Amoxicillin. She took an xray and nothing was amiss. So right now we are just watching...

Oh did I miss this thread?!?!

:balloons: Happy 1st Birthday Sheldon!! :balloons:

I know you've been to the vet already, but my concern would be an allergic reaction to the stitches. Only because I've seen it twice this year now. Poor Clark has his sack swell like he still had testicles. I don't know whether or not that would show up on x-ray, but the tissue was getting necrotic around the stitches. He finally had to be opened up and have everything removed.

I was wondering about a reaction to the sutures. If it's the inner muscle layer, what could you use instead of sutures?

Different brand of suture? Staples are out right? Glue? Clark's they finally left open and we had to flush it and fill with ointment every day.

Yeah all that is left is a little dot. It had some pus on it the last few days before swelling started but has dried up. I am also concerned about a suture reaction as I have gone through it with another rat, Bernadette. I have obsessively checked all the spayed rat's incisions every day, and no one has had any signs of abscess. A couple have some red irritation but I imagine that is from over-grooming. I am watching her like a hawk.:watching:

Yeah all that is left is a little dot. It had some pus on it the last few days before swelling started but has dried up. I am also concerned about a suture reaction as I have gone through it with another rat, Bernadette. I have obsessively checked all the spayed rat's incisions every day, and no one has had any signs of abscess. A couple have some red irritation but I imagine that is from over-grooming. I am watching her like a hawk.:watching:

You said its soft though right? Clark's reaction/swelling got very hard.

Yeah it is soft. I was actually referring to her abdomen being soft when I said that as a panicked (and possibly irrational) part of me feared megacolon. The incision is soft too though. I have been feeling them all up to make sure they don't get abscesses or cysts.

Back