Bladder worms in rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

OK, so I was reading up on Revolution (Selemectin) for my new girl who is preggo, and came across this information:

"Bladder worms: In 2008, the Polish Journal of Veterinary Sciences examined the effect of topical selamectin against bladder worm infestations in lab rats. These worms live in the epithelial lining of the bladder in small tunnels they excavate themselves, causing hyperplasia (thickening) of the bladder wall and inciting chronic, painful bladder inflammation. A single dose of selamectin at 6mg/kg was applied topically to affected rats and of the 12 treated, 7 made a full recovery with just the one dose (the others may have resolved had several doses been given over time - more study is needed here). "
(http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-...olution-flea-control.html#revolution-pregnant)

I found this very interesting as occasionally someone mentions that their rat may have had a bladder infection, but never have I heard of this. Perhaps some of these bladder infections are not bacterial in nature, but rather parasitic instead, and that a dose of Revolution may be the better treatment. Just throwing it out there for consideration...

Very interesting .... revolution kills so many different types of parasites including worms
.... good to know that there is a simple safe treatment for bladder worms.

Would these come out in fecal samples?
Makes sense to have a vet see, with recurring bladder problems... Hmm.

Back