Grape sized lump?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsmom

One of my girls, 18 months, has a lump the size of a large grape on her side. It's where a nipple is. I touched it and she squeaked. I couldn't see a scab, scrape or any discolouring on the bump. So I have a feeling it's a dreaded tumour... :( I didn't notice it yesterday when they were all out, but I didn't do a body check either. It was very obvious to me today though so I'm sure I would have noticed if it was there.

If I just run my hand over her body I don't feel it. It isn't hard and doesn't feel like a ball or hard lump under the skin.

(She isn't usually puffy, the cat was out and she (rat) is extremely territorial of her space. Cat went away, fur went down).

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Lumps and bumps are usually one of two things: an abscess or a tumour. Mammary tumours are quite common, especially if your girl is older (18 mos?). If the rat is otherwise healthy, then I always elect to have it removed ASAP, as the smaller it is, the easier it is to do surgery. I hate having to euthanize an otherwise bright, energetic animal just because a tumour grew too large.
You could try warm compresses for a few days to see if you can bring it to a head in case it is an abscess.

I would have that lump checked by a vet. Escpecially the fact that it's on a nipple, makes me think mammary tumor.

You are lucky in that it is small, your girl seems very bright and healthy otherwise, and that it's on the upper mammaries. Those surgeries, as long as they are done by a knowledgable vet, are usually a breeze. :)

I'll get it checked out. I didn't think it was good being on the nipple. I'll try the warm compress in the meantime until we can get an appointment. It seems small still and she is otherwise healthy.

Unfortunately, benign mammary tumours are extremely common in females. Nothing prevents them except for a spay. She's also at the right age for one. If you decide to have the tumour removed, I would ask the vet to spay her at the same time, this will help reduce the risk of recurrence.

Back