Possible Pregnant Baby Rat- Advice?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
I have a rat who I was told was three weeks a while ago. Now I'm guessing she is 5 or six weeks. She was with a male when we didn't know she was a female for a day. I'm just paranoid that she could be pregnant. If she is pregnant...what would I do? If she is, she doesn't really look pregnant unless she stretches. Is this just baby fat?
Sorry for the bad pic quality
0831142041_zps32be97e8.jpg

Please say it's just baby fat..
:pale:

Rats become sexually mature between 5 and 6 weeks of age.
It is unlikely that she is pregnant.
Just make sure she is well cared for and has a good, healthy diet.

You can also watch to see if she goes into heat ... rats go into heat every 3 to 4 days once sexually mature,
however, not all girls show signs when they are in heat so don't worry if you can't tell

Signs of being in heat include: freezing and quivering if her back is stroked near her tail, arching her back when touched, vibrating her ears, and running in short fast bursts.

Rats become sexually mature between 5 and 6 weeks of age.
It is unlikely that she is pregnant.
Just make sure she is well cared for and has a good, healthy diet.

You can also watch to see if she goes into heat ... rats go into heat every 3 to 4 days once sexually mature,
however, not all girls show signs when they are in heat so don't worry if you can't tell

Signs of being in heat include: freezing and quivering if her back is stroked near her tail, arching her back when touched, vibrating her ears, and running in short fast bursts.

Ok, thank God. She's always running in short bursts, so I can't really rely on that alone haha. I have all my babies on Oxbow baby rat food, what is a good age to switch to adult Oxbow? They also get fruits and veg daily.

Never used baby oxbow so I can't say.

If you see signs of her being in heat, then you know she is definitely not pregnant.
If you don't see any signs of her being in heat it doesn't mean anything because as I mentioned, not all girls show signs.

Babies develop baby chubby little baby bellies so if she does, it does not mean she is pregnant.

Never used baby oxbow so I can't say.

If you see signs of her being in heat, then you know she is definitely not pregnant.
If you don't see any signs of her being in heat it doesn't mean anything because as I mentioned, not all girls show signs.

Babies develop baby chubby little baby bellies so if she does, it does not mean she is pregnant.

Cool. Thanks again!

I wouldn't worry about that chubby belly. I have little boys that look pregnant strictly because they gorge on their food and snacks.

Back