Itching

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

How frequently do scratches itch. I feel like mine scratch a lot. Not when they were running around during play time. But in their cage. Not just their shoulders, but also their faces. Is this just them adjusting to the new place? I just got them last night....

Also my Siamese/himi (not sure which) has ruby eyes. And she appears to have "sleepies" around them today. "Sleepies" are those crusty things we get when we sleep.

I think I might just be overly anxious.... But I want to make sure their all okay....

Oh and my boy usually only eats with one hand.... He's chunky so I'm thinking he just might do that cuz it's easier. But I'm being paranoid cuz I've also heard that's a sign of PT.....

Yours are babies right? so they are way too young for PT. As for the itching 1- look for critters on them, lice you will see moving. 2- look for scabs especially around that neck and under the chin that usually indicated mites. Are you using paper liter and if so are you freezing it and any wood products your using?

I used paper litter pellets in their litter box, didn't freeze it first.... Could that be it?....
The wood products I baked at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 3.5 hours (recommend for disinfection).

Haven't seen any signs of lice or mites....

I used paper litter pellets in their litter box, didn't freeze it first.... Could that be it?....
The wood products I baked at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 3.5 hours (recommend for disinfection).

Haven't seen any signs of lice or mites....

Never heard of baking wood products just freezing them. Where did you get them from? Mites you cannot see. Personally I don't do anything with my wood chew toys I give them, but I do freeze my litter after we had a mite outbreak. Just look for scabs, but with all your posts :lol8: your probably panicking. Calm down and enjoy them....

It does sound like you're quite worried. Try to take some deep breaths and enjoy them.

I did want to ask about the 'sleepies.' I wonder if it's porphyrin? Is it red-ish in colour?

Rats groom a lot. There's a big difference in groom or scratching.
What to look for, grooming, they lick their feet and then scratch and they do this all over, like a planned grooming session. Itching from buggies...you will notice them going about doing their thing and then all of a sudden stop and scratch. Go back to doing their thing, stop and scratch. Also, check for small scabs on their body, mainly their shoulders and neck area.

It does sound like you're quite worried. Try to take some deep breaths and enjoy them.

I did want to ask about the 'sleepies.' I wonder if it's porphyrin? Is it red-ish in colour?

I looked up what porphyrin was. And today my girl doesn't have those sleepies anymore. I'm thinkin they might have just been caused by stress from moving homes. I'm a worry wart. I think everyone I okay. My boy is just a dork and sleeps in his liter pan... Smh....

I looked up what porphyrin was. And today my girl doesn't have those sleepies anymore. I'm thinkin they might have just been caused by stress from moving homes. I'm a worry wart. I think everyone I okay. My boy is just a dork and sleeps in his liter pan... Smh....

Some days my rats have them, sometimes they don't. One of my girls always gets it around her eyes and nose when she is stressed. She gets stressed easy, like if I don't take her out one day. I wouldn't worry about it!

Back