Sneezer - Sneezes !!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

I really don't think anything is wrong with him, but Sneezer one of the Boris nakies is a non stop sneezer. I've never heard a rat sneeze so much. Occasionally he has these fits where he cannot stop and he paws at his nose as if he's cleaning it. His lungs are clear and he acts just fine... Maybe the smell in his cage bothers him too.. :lol3: Can anyone think of anything this could be? Should I just let him be or is he in need of a vet visit? Cannot be new home sneezes he's been doing it for two months now.

could he have allergies? maybe try some benadryl?

I thought about allergies, but not about giving benadryl. I'll look into that - dye free stuff from the store? I know Popper had a Rx for it, but I bet we threw it out and I don't know if it would be any good now anyway.

yep dye free um, forgot if it was children's or infants- I think the rat guide says which one to use

I had a rat who had allergies. I only gave him the benadryl when it got really bad, because the benadryl made him so sleepy and he didn't seem bothered by the sneezing.
only when it got so bad he lost interest in food, is when I gave him the benadryl

I wonder if claritin can be used for rats? it's much less likely to make you sleepy.

I've done children's benedryl, on my vet's advice. It worked for some. If anything it might help clear his nasal passages and make him feel a bit better. Give it a try if you don't see an improvement, then discontinue.

We do still have the benadryl that Popper was given and it doesn't expire until 9/30/14. I looked up Popper 's weight 762g when he was given the medication and his dose was .30 We just weighted Sneezer and he is 398g so we will cut the dose in half and give him .15 and see what happens.

Any objections?

Is he sneezing less due to you giving him Benadryl?
Does it make rats drowzy?

Is he sneezing less due to you giving him Benadryl?
Does it make rats drowzy?

He is sneezing less - it could be from the benedryl or the fact I moved him into a much bigger cage.. He doesn't seem sleepy, but he did chill out during out time yesterday, but he couldn't stop eating gerber puffs - it was the first time he had them and he thought they were the best thing ever. He doesn't eat yogies, or anything unhealthy - he's weird!

Back