Smell is NOT getting better - NEW CAGE photos

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

The nakies formerly known as "The Boris boys" still STINK! I have no idea what is causing this, but unless I clean their cage every two or three days the smell is going to kill me!!! I can only assume its their poo/pee, but what is making them smell so bad!! The cage they are in isn't that big, but its not that small either - its maybe a little bigger than a CN or about the same size. They make all the hammocks sticky - I don't know if its just urine or their buck grease too. Do I suck it up and buy another DCN and see if giving them more space helps with the smell??? I know they need more space since there is five of them, but I was hope to intro them to another group.

Help!!!!!!!! Should I :shower:them????

Do their sides look really orange? My naked loses the buck grease when neutered so I prefer to neuter the naked. There should be a huge difference with poo and buck grease. What does it smell like?

What kind of cage is it? Does it have plastic shelves? what about any plastic toys in the cage? Plastic and pee really don't do well together. lol
What about trying a different bedding? Something more absorbent. Also, how old are they now?

No, they do not have visual buck grease - only Wally does and he isn't in this group. In fact, they are quite pink.

Yes the cage has plastic shelves (one I cover with fleece) the other I cannot cause it holds a food bowl. The bottom is plastic also.

Only only plastic cube house and the bedding is a mixture of kaytee clean and cozy and carefresh.

Its definitely the pee, the ammonia burned my lungs this am.. DCN was purchased. Sent the hubby to petsmart this am - he should be putting to together at this time... Cannot wait to see them in it!

Apparently I was a little - alright A LOT off with my cage sizes. Despite having them and their previous cage next to my three other DCNs I thought it was bigger than it actual was. Once we put the boys into their new home - a DCN of their own - holy cow its huge and they have so much room!! I could of just went with an add on!!! They are so funny - none of them would go to the bottom level - the furthest was four feet on the ladder then back up. We finally put them down there. Its makes me so happy to see them having so much fun exploring in so much space...

Previous home ... that nasty plastic shelf happened in just 3-4 days...

Come on boys, we have something to show you.....

Their new home with a round thing they are trying to figure out (wheel)...... Welcome boys...

In case any of you are wondering we put the water bottles in after we put the boys in. Daddy put this cage together "backwards" for me since I have such a hard time with the ladder that attaches the two level he put it so I could reach it easier.

Last edited:
That is why it smelled so bad you could use that for one rat but even then it stinks to high heaven. I have a cage like that and we had 3 in there and It couldnt stop smelling so I pretty much refuse those types of cages. I hate those plastic shelves like those in that cage. Not fun at all. Love the new set up though you need some spayed girls in there LOL

That is why it smelled so bad you could use that for one rat but even then it stinks to high heaven. I have a cage like that and we had 3 in there and It couldnt stop smelling so I pretty much refuse those types of cages. I hate those plastic shelves like those in that cage. Not fun at all. Love the new set up though you need some spayed girls in there LOL

ah yes, girls would be nice, but I don't even have sitters arranged for all the boys when we go out of town in October so no new kids until we return. I don't want to make my boys crazy though with girls in the house and hubby says no to girls for that reason. I cannot believe how much of a size difference in the cages. That cage was given to me by a girl at work who didn't want to throw it out after her rats past. Guess I'll add it to my collection.

Oh how I love nakies <3 I hope I'm able to find some in rescue when the time comes to adopt again. I have my Ferret Nation ladder set up that way, too. Did you have to buy those litter guards separate or do the new CN come with them? I was thinking about buying Bass Pans since my little ones hardly use their litter boxes, but if those work it seems like a good alternative.

Oh how I love nakies <3 I hope I'm able to find some in rescue when the time comes to adopt again. I have my Ferret Nation ladder set up that way, too. Did you have to buy those litter guards separate or do the new CN come with them? I was thinking about buying Bass Pans since my little ones hardly use their litter boxes, but if those work it seems like a good alternative.

I purchased those separately awhile ago to keep the liter in. There are liter boxes in there, but the buggers aren't using them...

Back