looks like boomerang might need to be snipped

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

Ok, I got Boomerang when he was 4 months old. He is now only 6 months old. But I noticed my beautiful submissive Happy had bites and scrapes on his tail. Yesterday I seen Boomerang pulling and bitting Happy's tail. They get really stiff and go into fighting mode. Happy also has what looks like a bite on his cheek. After cage cleaning yesterday and the boys were back in their cage I noticed boomerang rubbing up against everything like a dominant rat.

My question is should I get him fixed right away or wait and see if he calms down?

If you can afford it, I would have him done asap. But if you can't, then you can try the time out cage. Each time you see him being a bully, you pull him out and put him in a small empty cage for no more than 10 minutes. You really need to be consistent and do this each time you see him act out.

If he's aggressive and rubbing on everything he's not going to calm down from my experience. Get the neuter asap as jorats said - you might want to separate them until then and only give them supervised out time together. However, I did that with my nakies Wally and Tucker since Tucker was brutalizing Wally - now Wally is aggressive and in need of a neuter!!!

But Boomerang is only like that with Happy. I have a total of 6 boys. None of them have scratches....I even have a naked rattie with not one scratch. All my boys are now out and about. There is some tension between Happy and Boomerang but they're not that bad. I'll definately keep and eye on them. And keep you posted. But it is just starting. If it doesn't get better in the next few days I think it will only get worse. I actually just checked Boomerang birthday and he is only 5 months old! :(

Boomerang is at the perfect age to become a bully or assert himself as dominant. This would be a good time to do the time out cage each time he bullies Happy.

Looks like Boomerang is calming down. He's still a dominant rat, but he's aloud to be as long as he's not aggressive. I'm wondering if he was acting like this because I added a new naked friend to the mix. I just found it weird that he had no problem with the new guy and took everything out on Happy.....

Back