Rat having trouble breathing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrmidon

My rat, Lerxst, seems to be having trouble breathing. She keeps opening and closing her mouth, and making sounds when she's breathing. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, but is there anything I can do right now to help her?

-if you have access to oxygen that would be the best thing
-you could try her in a steamy bathroom, but if it makes it worse you need to stop right away
-if someone has a rescue inhaler for asthma, you could try her with that

Breathing problems can be from the lungs, but it can also be from heart failure.
What colour are her extremities?

It sounds like either a respiratory infection, or possibly cardiac issues. Are her feet, tail tip, ears, gums still pink? A tiny bit of pure dark chocolate can help as a natural bronchodilator, but often they don't want to eat when they're distressed. Other than the advice above, keep her comfortable and, if possible see that she eats a bit for energy/moisture until you can get her to the vet. She needs to go onto a good antibiotic combo like doxy/baytril or zithro, and, depending upon how advanced the URI might be, possibly a steroid like prednisone to reduce inflammation. If you have any eucaplytus oil or Vicks vaporub, you can put a bit in a bowl of hot water and set it in the room; don't put it too close to the rat, but just in the room where the vapors can help open airways. Sending healing vibes to your little one until you can get to the vet's tomorrow.

She did make it through the night and we went to the vet, but she seemed to really be suffering and she wouldn't even let the vet hold her, and she used to let anyone hold her. The vet said they would have to do a lot of tests just to see what was wrong with her, and they might not even be able to do anything for her, so we decided to put her down. :(

Thinking of you, Myrmidon. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved rat friend. I hope you're able to find comfort in many great memories and in knowing you gave Lerxst the best home and most love possible.

Back