Emergency vet situation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnieflower

Today was a very rough day... I wasn't ready to post my website yet, but a very important rescue made me rush it and post it. I spent all day finishing this site and opening a tumblr and facebook with the help of my sister. I know I do not have much information about rat care on my site yet, but I'm mainly focused on helping these rabbits right now.

I'm going to post the story from my website here. I know these aren't rats, but I know there are great people on here and they are animals in need of serious help. If anyone can donate or even help get the word out that would be amazing.

Heres a link to the website and the whole story.

http://littlefootrescue.wix.com/rattierescue#!rabbit-emergency/c13bd

Today, August 27, I encountered a serious problem. As I was visiting family outside of the city I decided to go along to a vet trip for their dog. I wanted to see how their vet was and the differences between the vets I have been to. While sitting in the waiting room a very angry woman walked into the vet clinic. She had a small crate, I was thinking she had a small cat or kitten in the crate. She then started yelling and swearing at the receptionist saying she had issues with her three rabbits.

She said when she adopted them she thought they were all males but they were not. She was furious and saying she did not want a litter of rabbits and she could not deal with the rabbits any longer. She said she couldn't find them a home. Neutering and spaying rabbits is VERY expensive, this woman obviously did not want to pay for the animals she carelessly bought. She continued to say one was sick, and was attacked by one of the other rabbits. All of this went on for about 15 minutes. The receptionist offered the best advice she could but the woman refused to listen to anything.

The woman then said something very disturbing which is the reason why these rabbits are now with me. She told the receptionist if they won't take them and rehome them ( most vet clinics will not do this) she wants them euthanized. The receptionist then explained that they will not do that and they unfortunately cannot rehome her animals and she will have to take them to some sort of shelter. The woman grabbed the carrier viciously and told the receptionist she didn't need her help and she will just let them go in the woods. She quickly walked out the door and I followed her and asked if I could take them. She agreed and I now have three beautiful rabbits.

I rushed home as soon as I got them and found out they are infact all male. If you research male rabbits you will find tons of information about raging hormones. These boys need to be neutered. One of the boys has been bitten a few times and seems to have a respiratory illness. As soon as I let them out of the tiny crate they did start fighting. Rabbit fights can be very brutal and even deadly. They were also very dirty and in very poor condition, they were not fed properly at all. As I already have a rabbit of my own I had to modify his large C&C cage to fit 3 rabbits, and my rabbit is living in a regular rabbit cage at the moment. This is not ideal but it will do for now.

The problem is I cannot afford the proper vet care they need. I only took them in because their lives were at risk and at least they will be safe with me until I can come up with the money. On top of their vet bills they also need basic accessories like proper cages, food, toys and accessories. Rabbit care is very expensive and I already have quite a few rats that are getting medical attention that is also expensive. Just the care for these rabbits alone will cost me over $1000.00.

I would like to take them to the vet I take my rabbit ( and past rescue rabbit) to. I want to make sure they will get great care. The exam for one rabbit will be $85.00 + tax, and the neuter will be $298.00 + tax. This is not including any pain medication, or the medical care for the sick rabbit. I may even find out the other two have other problems as well. Over all without tax or medication their neuter will be $1,149.00 for all three of them. The donation goal is $1600.00 because I believe that should cover their neuters with the tax and medication added.

These rabbits were terrified and are already warming up to me, but they are not very friendly. I can see why she couldn't find a home for them, but I am willing to do everything I can to make them loving comfortable pets. If I can raise enough money to get them the medical care they need I will keep all three of them as my own, unless I find a loving forever home once they are healthy and friendly. Rabbits are very sensitive animals, they have been through enough fear and stress, I do not want to have to rehome them again anytime soon.

If you can donate anything please go to the "help a rat in need" page. Or send your donation to [email protected] via paypal. Every little bit helps, thank you for reading their story. :)

I will be updating their story on my tumblr page littlefootrescue.tumblr.com for more information on them please check it out.

Try researching low-cost spay and neuter places. There's a place here in Colorado that will spay or neuter a rabbit for $85 total. If you cannot afford your regular vet it's better for the rabbits to find a lower-cost option that's still safe and reputable. When I got Stump neutered because he was hurting my other rats, my regular vet quoted me over $200 for it. So I took Stump to a cheaper place and got the surgery done for less than $100... It wasn't my ideal choice, but he's neutered and no worse for wear because I went with a reputable cheaper vet. Just do your research, call around... Good luck and good job for rescuing them.

Last edited:
You could try contacting Toronto animal services? I'm pretty sure they speuter all the rabbits that come to them.. All the ones on their webiste are spayed/neutered and I doubt they were all done by their previous owners. They may be able to put them in their system, get them fixed up and then have you foster them until they're healed and socialized enough to be adopted.

I know they usually charge a surrender fee, but if you explain the situation, maybe they'll waive or lower it?

Back