Pneumonia prognosis?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Whiskers

Late last night as I was saying good night to the girls in their cage (total of seven ladies now...need to make an update and intro!) I heard a terrible honking/whuffling/clicking noise under the towel.
To my shock it was Saga, who of course as soon as I picked her up stopped doing it and didn't do it for a while.
But then sure enough, later on she started doing it again and a closer inspection of her lungs revealed that terrible crackle/wheeze/wet noise, but it was intermittent and otherwise was her normal self.

Needless to say little miss was in promptly at 2 PM today to see my vet. Diagnosed with pneumonia (which shocked me...I do health checks and lung checks literally *daily*---this seems to have cropped up overnight) and is on a combo of doxy and baytril twice daily for two weeks.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences? First time rattie owner so I'm a bit worried for the poor girl. Should I treat everyone else too?

I would not treat anyone else unless they are showing signs of illness, but watch them closely.
Two weeks is absolutely not long enough for the antibiotics. Rats should be on meds for at least four weeks after they stop showing signs of illness. Rats are very prone to bouts of respiratory problems, and short courses of antibiotics will promote resistant bacteria. I learned that the hard way with my first rat.

I agree with the recommendation for longer meds; as long as that combo works, ask your vet for at least another two weeks beyond that and to be ready to supply more if required. You want the wet sounds to go away, as well as the noise. Monitor her well; make sure she's eating and drinking and just keep a close eye on the others. I don't know why vets only do this 'two week' thing; vets who have experience with rats should know better. Best to your girl.

When you hear the word pneumonia, you automatically think life and death for our rats, and if its a bad one, it can be life or death. Pneumonia can be mild as well, and it just means the respiratory infection is in her lungs not just her nasal packages. The fact that you caught it quick, and she's not acting sick are all good things.

Doxy and baytril is a very good combo for this, and you should see improvements in 5 days or even a bit less. My vet's usual course of antibiotics is 3 weeks, but some vets only prescribe for 2 weeks (much better than the ones who medicate for 7-10 days :p). Depending on how quickly the symptoms go away it might be enough. A general rule of thumb is once the symptoms are ALL gone you medicate for week afterwards to make sure you eradicate the infection.

I hope the little one gets better soon. I know what you mean, though. When mine had pneumonia, I had no idea for a while. One got a little sniffly, but they were acting pretty normal until one morning they sounded awful and had to make an emergency vet visit.

Thanks everyone :)

Saga isn't 100% better yet by any means, but she's absolutely perked up and sounds better. Called the vet and her treatment has been extended to three weeks and after that we'll play it by ear and extend as necessary.
The downside is not long after she started treatment literally all my girls began showing URI/Myco symptoms soo pretty much all seven girls are currently on twice daily doxy and baytril as well.

Must say...having medicated my fair share of reptiles and birds over the years the rats are so much more difficult to medicate! I've debated trying to sneak it into some applesauce or nut butter etc but I'd be worried they wouldn't get the whole dose.

You can try mixing it with a small amount of peanut butter and then a crushed gerber puff and making it into a small treat. They will catch onto this soon enough though. Some of ours actually take the syringe and put it in their mouths - they are good boys!

If you use a small enough amount of apple sauce it will work fine. I always mix their meds into something yummy and have each teaspoon labelled for each rat.
A bit of sauce in the spoon, and then add their meds. They usually lick the spoon clean.

Back