Rat making strange noises when asleep, please help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattylove

Hi all!

This is my first time posting on here... In fact first time on a forum in general! So just trying to work it all out but needed to ask a question -

I've had two male rats for over 5 months now, they both seem perfectly healthy, eating and drinking well, no excessive sneezing or snuffles, no discharge from eyes or nose, etc ... But one of the males is making a weird noise when he is asleep, noticed it a few times now, and it's usually only when he's curled up into a ball so I was wondering if it was just a type of snoring from the way he is curling up. It's kind of a soft cooing noise as he breathes in and out. As soon as he uncurls and wakes up he breathes normally.. No rattling or wheezing?!

Any answers would be much appreciated! Thank you :) :thanks:

Hi Rattylove,

I'm so sorry none of us responded to your post earlier!

It sounds to me like he is exhibiting signs of respiratory disease. Rats do not make any sounds when breathing, so if you are hearing the "soft cooing" sound---even just when he's asleep---I'd have him checked out by a vet.

In case it's helpful, this is a video I made of the sound one of my rats was making that's indicative of respiratory disease.

I also have a page on my website about respiratory disease.

Hope this is helpful and that you can have him examined by a good rat veterinarian.

Keep us posted!

Without seeing a video or personally hearing the noise it is hard to say for sure. Unfortunately rats are so plagued with URIs that in most cases any noise like that is a sign that they need to see a vet. When it comes to URIs you want to catch (and treat) it as earlier as possible.

Have you tried the rattie telephone is? That is holding them up to your ear like a phone to get a good listen to their breathing. If you haven't already tried this I would recommend trying it now.

Hi! I agree with trihkal, it's hard for any of us to give advice when we don't know for sure. A video would be very helpful. Otherwise, rats don't snore and shouldn't make any noise. But I wonder if you are hearing bruxxing? Although, it's not something they usually do when curled up.

I've had rats that have made a similar noise when sleeping; it was usually either respiratory issues or heart issues. I'd take him to a vet for a checkup and ask for some meds for at least three weeks. See if meds clear the noises up, then go from there.

Back