Possibly Pregnant Girl - Tabitha - is not pregnant!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mia9_28

Hi there.

The other day I saw an ad for 3 feeder rats for free. I contacted the humane society and they said they could take them. All was good until I found out there are two males, and a possibly pregnant girl. She was separated but then they wanted to sell her cage so they shoved her with the males. :swear:

So I tell the humane society that I am willing to raise the litter for them, socialize them, and keep them here until they are 5 weeks old and have found homes through the humane society, or they have space for them at the shelter. When they heard yesterday that she was possibly pregnant, they backed out, said they would take the males, and basically told me that the female was my problem. They said they can't spend the money to have her spayed.

I'm picking them up this morning... and I don't know what to do. I just found a new home for two of my rats, because my numbers had to drop due to some new living arrangements, so I can't take on a female and her litter AND have to find homes myself. I live on a small island, with barely any rat owners out there. I only got two responses to my ad about my rats, and actually found them a home off island... so you can see how finding homes for a full litter would simply be impossible.

I'm at lost. At this point, I'm even considering having her pts... as that is better than the alternative of me leaving her there to be a feeder. I'd love to have her spayed asap, but I can't afford it. I still can't afford to neuter Basil.

Maybe I'm just ranting here... but does anyone have any advice? I really hate this situation...

Jorats, I can't personally have her spayed. Trust me, I would if I could but I don't even have enough for my own food right now and not for another 2 weeks.

Lilspaz, it would be $200+ since a neuter is around $160

Jorats, I can't personally have her spayed. Trust me, I would if I could but I don't even have enough for my own food right now and not for another 2 weeks.

Lilspaz, it would be $200+ since a neuter is around $160

$20 from 11 people would cover it right?

Do you have paypal or can you receive EMT?

The vet will be calling me back with a price later today. She says she has never spayed a female before.. But has done neuters.

I do have both but I prefer EMT.

I won't accept anything until I have confirmation from the vet, but there is really no way to have her done within the next two weeks unless her surgery is completely covered. I will get back to you on that though.

My email address is [email protected] for both Paypal and EMT.

I have them home finally!

So, all three are underweight and clearly very hungry. They were on Kibbles N Bits dog food their whole lives (''because they prefer it over sunflower seeds''). She is chowing down a whole lab block as I write this. She'll even eat in my hands.

She's a beautiful and super friendly little siamese girl, weighing in at only 185g. She is apparently nearly 2 years old. :S

The black variegated male is also nearly two years old, and the other one is under a year, and he's their son. He's almost all black with a small blaze on his face. Very cute, but fearful.

Now her story has changed. Apparently now she hasn't been living with them, but has only been with them during supervised playtime, and about 15 minutes in the cage with them before I arrived.
But the other day she wrote this: ''They are currently living together but a close eye is kept on them when they are together. She has had baby's before with one of the males. And the pure black male is there baby, I am getting rid of the other cage so would like them gone as soon as possible so they don't end up breeding together. Thanks. ''

I just don't know if she is healthy enough for surgery, and obviously since she is so starved, it will be impossible to tell if she is pregnant by weighing her daily.

Pictures of her will follow.

Here she is. Her name is Snow and she is one of the friendliest rats I have ever met. She will probably be up for adoption eventually. Hint hint ;)

Last edited:
I have them home finally!

So, all three are underweight and clearly very hungry. They were on Kibbles N Bits dog food their whole lives (''because they prefer it over sunflower seeds''). She is chowing down a whole lab block as I write this. She'll even eat in my hands.

She's a beautiful and super friendly little siamese girl, weighing in at only 185g. She is apparently nearly 2 years old. :S

The black variegated male is also nearly two years old, and the other one is under a year, and he's their son. He's almost all black with a small blaze on his face. Very cute, but fearful.

Now her story has changed. Apparently now she hasn't been living with them, but has only been with them during supervised playtime, and about 15 minutes in the cage with them before I arrived.
But the other day she wrote this: ''They are currently living together but a close eye is kept on them when they are together. She has had baby's before with one of the males. And the pure black male is there baby, I am getting rid of the other cage so would like them gone as soon as possible so they don't end up breeding together. Thanks. ''

I just don't know if she is healthy enough for surgery, and obviously since she is so starved, it will be impossible to tell if she is pregnant by weighing her daily.

Pictures of her will follow.

Can you find out from her former owner how many litters she had, how long ago was the last one?

its possible she's infertile at her age and can get pregnant but is unable to carry a pregnancy to term.

Even with the starvation, we can often determine pregnancy its just much harder.

Btw I adore her. She's got those wonderful bright eyes, she hasn't given up and obviously has been through hell from her condition. She doesn't look pregnant so you have some time. We can even hope she goes into heat in the next 4 days or so, but being her age and how starved she was...she may not.

Here are pictures of the males, just for fun. They will be going into foster care with the HS either today or tomorrow. Daddy is the friendly one. I would keep them if I could.

Last edited:
She's lapping up some soy infant formula right now. She should be a good weight by the time you adopt her. ;)

Still waiting to hear back from the vet. She is still doing a surgery.

I was just talking to the vet's office where I have had several rats spayed and they would be able to do her surgery on Sept 5th. That would give her some time to gain some weight back and get healthy.
Waddaya think?

Back