Litter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a ferret litter box. Some people will use a kitten litter box and others will use a makeshift litter box. I have heard rats like to be able to put their whole self (including tail) inside the box.

I have been using Harlan's pelleted paper bedding but you can't buy that at a pet store. Yesterday's News is a popular choice but some worry that it contains a small percentage of pine. Others say not to worry because YN is so processed. There are other paper based litters such as Fresh News. Eco Bedding is another popular choice.

I have three of the one on the left in each of my DCNs. I had one of the one on the right, but they just took it apart. We use exquisicat paper liter in them.
lg-31467-67199-20.jpg

So I ended up getting Exquisicat litter and have two pans similar to the left one above....
My boy likes to sleep in it....
And he kicks almost all the litter out too... Soooo annoying... It's all back behind the cage. Working on liter training by picking up poops and putting them in the litter box.... But he just sleeps in...
Hopefully they'll start cuddling soon and sleeping in a hammock or something instead of chewing holes in my fleece and sleeping under it or kicking the litter all over the place and sleeping in their poops

I used to use that as well. Is it the recycled paper pulp kind? (I think they make several varieties...) My boys liked to fling it everywhere or sleep in it. Hope your little ones will cease their mess making soon.

Mine used to sleep in there too and eat in there, but they out grew the sleeping in there... its still a favorite hiding spot for snacks though - YUCK!

ExquisiCat Naturals Paper Litter. It's also sooo much cheaper than what's normally labeled for little critters.

I use a normal kitten litter box. I like the size and my rats can't tip it over also, they don't throw the litter around with the bigger box.

For my 6 girls I use a cat litter pan (regular size, probably 20" x 15" or so). And for my 2 boys I use a kitten sized litter pan (8 x 10 maybe). They don't tip over because they are good sized.

I use aspen shavings in my litter pans. Nothing else works for me. I've tried using every paper based bedding and litter on the market, they do nothing for the smell IMO. Aspen works great for me and my kids.

Litter training can be hit or miss. My girls never poop outside their pan. My 3 year old boy didn't start using the litter pan until this July when his brothers passed away. His brothers refused to be litter trained and he followed along. Once his brothers were gone and he was just living with his current buddy (who is 100% litter trained for poop) he started using the box.

I really like the cat litter pans because they are heavy so they don't tip, they are big enough for the rats to completely get in and they can't kick the litter out as easy. I hated having dirty litter everywhere. I switched to cat boxes and haven't had litter on the floor since.

I use Yesterday's News, which seems to work well. I use ferret pans mostly, but I had to devise one with a low entrance for when I have oldies with HED. That ends up being messy, but the infirm ones like being able to access litter.

Alas, several of mine stash food in the litter box, even soft things like banana.

Back