Milo needs a companion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
My 3 week old rat Milo needs a companion. What age rat would be best for him? Unless I drive a long time away, all I can get are feeder rats from petco. (I really want a hairless dumbo, but I'm screwed)
:tumkiss:

Last edited:
May I ask where you are from? Just a general region like a province or state would let us know if there are any good rescues close by.

I would think a rat that's as close as possible in age would be best. Make sure you get a rat with the same sex, too. You don't want them making babies.

Could I get you guys to tell me reasons to have two rats? I want to show my mom this thread to show her that he needs a companion and he cant just bond with me

Rats have an instinctual group mentality. They are social animals by nature, and it is very unnatural for them to live solitary lives. It would be synonymous with a human living in solitary confinement. They are more intelligent than your normal "pocket pet", and require stimulation, entertainment and interaction that they can only find in another rat(s). Yes, they can bond closely with their humans. But we can never replace their need for rat-to-rat interaction. They help to groom one another (especially in spots they can't reach, like between the shoulders), and provide a sense of security and well being for one another.

A lone rat will also likely become very bored. Boredom can possibly lead to bad habits (cage bar chewing, barbering) and possibly depression. Can you imagine finding yourself being kept alone as the only member of your species? Toys and interaction with owners are wonderful, but the need to communicate and bond with members of your own species are crucial. And yes, rats do communicate with each other! If you were ever to use a bat detector to "eavesdrop" on them, you'd hear them chattering and squeaking "conversations" all day on frequencies we cannot hear.

This classic vid sums it up without too many words. The bonds they develop with one another are plain as day.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy3bMRuobE[/ame]

Great video...I always love seeing that.

Zanya, show these posts to your mom and please show her the video. :)

You can also pull up just about any online site about rat care and they will all say the same thing. A rat MUST have at least one other companion. A single rat will become depressed and lethargic and it can affect their health. There is nothing sadder than a solo rat.

Even when their person can give them a lot of attention, unfortunately we cannot be there with them in their house 24 hours a day, or during the long nights when we are sleeping and they are alone. Having a buddy to share life with will make your ratty happy and healthy.

Tell your mom, if she does not already know, that rats are very, very intelligent (more intelligent than cats and dogs!) and they DO have complex emotional needs. They are not goldfish. ;)

Last edited:
Rats en Folie, I just noticed your awesome tag line about "Whoever said diamonds are a girl's best friend never had a rat..." that was great, I loved it! :D

Thanks. Even if she doesn't want a friend for him/her, I'm going to get one anyways. I have a pet shop that breeds pet rats so I can probably find one over there around my baby's age.

Please get a rescue if you can, instead of supporting a breeder or a store ... it will just encourage them to breed more.
Check online for people rehoming an accidental litter, check rat rescues and shelters as they may have babies in need of a good home.
Make sure you get babies that are of the same sex.

Babies need to stay with mom until 6 weeks old. Please do not take a baby away from mom when too young (you said you want to get another 3 week old baby) ... it does impact the baby, health issues etc

Last edited:
Please try to get rescues ... on the internet from someone who had an accidental litter, a rat rescue or a shelter. If you buy from a store or breeder, it will just encourage them to breed more.

Babies should not be rehomed until at least 6 weeks, although baby boys are separated from mom and sisters at 5 or 5.5 weeks. Please do not get a baby that is too young to leave mom (you mentioned getting another 3 week old baby). Taking a baby away from mom when it is too young does negatively impact the baby ... health issues, etc and some do not survive.

As Jorats wrote:
I would get him two 4-6 week old buddies.
3 rats are a good size group.

Edit: sorry for the repeat post, computer shut down and I thought the first post was lost

Last edited:
Hey Zanya, have you tried Petfinders.com? They list rescue animals from different shelters and you can type in your zip code and "Small and Furry" for catagory, then even add "rat" for the select species, and what age, etc. It can pop up any and all rescues or shelters close to your zip code that have animals suiting your needs. Just a thought. :)

Hooray for you for trying to get Milo a buddy and for also trying to get a rescue, awesome. I still would love to hear what your mom has to say about that video! How could it not melt her heart?

Oh she's crazy if she thought I wouldn't get him a companion if he needed it. I guess it's because we have so many animals already lol. But oh well. :)

Back