Ferguson "Protests"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

Leaving work early today cuz one of the Ferguson "Protests" spurred by the cyber-terrorist group, Anonymous is supposed to happen right around the corner from here at 7:00. And knowing this city it ain't gonna stay a protest... Most likely will turn into a riot...

Went out to put more money in my meter and saw two guys up in eachother's faces arguing about this. Was nervous about punches being thrown, which is this city very quickly escalates to knives or guns being pulled....

This whole thing is sickening. There is nothing to protest at this point. The judicial system doesn't serve justice overnight. And in this case, we don't even know what "justice" is. Was Wilson's life in danger when he used his weapon? Was he even in control of it, or was there a struggle for it, as yesterday's story reported? Or did he use DF unnecessarily? The facts, testimony, dash cams, etc will be presented before the grand jury, and no sooner. Will the community be satisfied if "justice" reveals Wilson did no wrong? Will the community be satisfied if he is guilty of a crime? Until facts are revealed it seems no one has a place to protest. And the looting and violent behavior? There is simply no place for that.

It is sad that a young man was killed. It is sad that an officer has either done wrong, or had to do something awful to save his own life. No matter the facts, it all sucks.

Sorry you are so closely affected by all this. I hope you stay safe and out of anything crazy that happens.

At least 6 bullets hit the victim and there's a question about whether or not he was in control of the weapon? We had a similar case in Canada last year, except it was caught on tape. Google Sammy Yatim, the video should be easy to find. The officer is facing second degree murder charges, maybe that will finally make cops chill out knowing they won't get away with shooting people without reasonable justification. I've never had issues with cops personally but there's a culture in police forces where a mob mentality forms and they think they can get away with anything. There are serious, long standing racial tensions in Missouri, this is more than just about a shooting. North of the border, there is a lot of criticism and blame to the authorities for their handling of the protests. Last time I read an article, the prosecutor would not step aside... even if you're not biased as is being alleged, step aside so the community can have confidence in the investigation.

It's very sad but this seems to be the only way minority communities get change in the US and elsewhere. I remember the Rodney King riots (again, had there not been video tape evidence, the case would have ended very differently), they made it all the way from LA to Toronto when I was a child. It's terrible to live through social unrest but that's the product when you have a section of the population that feels (rightly or wrongly) oppressed, singled out and without a voice. As an outsider looking in, I am grateful we immigrated to Canada and not the US, the democracy in the states is one that favours the ridiculously rich and their values and excludes the poor and poorly educated. People need to feel like they are equal members of society, if you keep on ignoring and dismissing any group, this is a very likely result.

Ferguson event is on video - just no need to release it to the public while its an on going investigation. There's a lot more to the incident than was initially released. Once these people started shooting at the officers a couple days ago - well, I won't give my opinion. I suppose I have a stronger opinion though being that I work in law enforcement and have for the past 20 years.

My thoughts right now are that, as dspch said, there may be and likely is more to know than has been released. It may confirm, support or refute what people believe or assumed happened. And I think people need to know facts to form a valid opinion, and to have an opinion to start a protest. I mean, yes, you can protest whenever about whatever; but it seems more reasonable to wait until the full story unfolds. And then, if it turns out he used unnecessarily deadly force and they don't charge him - well, then that's probably a good time to start protesting and demanding justice. I understand that it looks bad - white cop, young black man unarmed gets shot. It sucks race is an issue - if they were both white, would the community be in uproar? Or if they were both black? It is disheartening that people assume the worst - that it was race based and that the police feel they can get away with anything. Could be the case...or, it might not be. Maybe the fuss is a good thing in that the community can be assured that with the eyes of the entire nation on the matter right now, it's unlikely that the judicial system will "fail" or show any unjust bias towards the cop.

Back