Just took Daisy to the vet. Did the vet give the right dosage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Hey everyone. My three girls have URIs so I took Daisy in to see the vet [scheduling an appointment for the other two as well]

He prescribed baytril to be administered 2 times a day for one week and doxy for 3 more after that [not sure how many times a day for the doxy]. Does this sound about right?

Also, I had no idea that they'd only prescribe the medication for one rat.. subsequently the vet won't see the other two till monday, so they can't get their meds, which really bugs me but there's nothing I can do about it because that's the only vet that will see rats in my town. Will Daisy's recovery go okay with the meds even though the other two's URI's are still flaring up? Or will they pass on the symptoms to her again because they're still sick? I don't understand URIs that much so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We will need a few things before we can go any further. How much does your rat weigh, what concentration is the baytril, and what dosage did he tell u to give?

I also hope he isn't telling u to medicate your rat for just a week, but will give u more?

He only give me enough Baytril for one week, and also gave me a prescription of doxy for 3 more after that. Is that a wrong way of doing it? I heard from some people that you should keep using baytril and if it's not effective upgrade to doxy and do that for 4 weeks even if the symptoms go away.

As far as what he, gave me.. it was a week's worth of baytril mixed with a sweet syrup kind of liquid to make her enjoy it more. 0.18 cc twice daily it says on the bottle, and they showed me how much to put in the syringe and whatnot.. but I'm not really sure how much that translates to.

Last edited:
He only give me enough Baytril for one week, and also gave me a prescription of doxy for 3 more after that. Is that a wrong way of doing it? I heard from some people that you should keep using baytril and if it's not effective upgrade to doxy and do that for 4 weeks even if the symptoms go away.

As far as what he, gave me.. it was a week's worth of baytril mixed with a sweet syrup kind of liquid to make her enjoy it more. 0.18 cc twice daily it says on the bottle, and they showed me how much to put in the syringe and whatnot.. but I'm not really sure how much that translates to.

Well that is concerning, no mg/ml on the bottle label?

Your vet is completely wrong using baytril for just a week as this never cures an infection. Once you stop medicating all the symptoms come back and sometimes worse than before. Vets who are not keeping up with the general knowledge often give a week to 10 days of antibiotics, and it rarely works. Doxy is what i consider an additive drug and is greta to add to an antibiotic to make a combo but on its own I find it very weak.

How sick are your rats? What symptoms are they showing?

Well that is concerning, no mg/ml on the bottle label?

Your vet is completely wrong using baytril for just a week as this never cures an infection. Once you stop medicating all the symptoms come back and sometimes worse than before. Vets who are not keeping up with the general knowledge often give a week to 10 days of antibiotics, and it rarely works. Doxy is what i consider an additive drug and is greta to add to an antibiotic to make a combo but on its own I find it very weak.

How sick are your rats? What symptoms are they showing?

20mg on the bottle

My rats aren't that sick... Aside from sneezing and a little bit of a runny nose, all three of them are functioning just fine, but I figure it's best to catch it now.

Now, as far as baytril and doxy goes.. Are there ways to buy it without having to consult the vet? He charges $72 just for the visit and I really don't want to do that, especially if he's not giving me enough.

Back