The short and sweet life of Zephye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephye

Dat Rat Lady
This is the hardest thing I've ever been through, my fiance and I are going through a hard time. I'm posting this early since I know I won't have the strength until much later.

The short and sweet life of Zephye,

To Zephye,

Love comes in all forms, whether it be in a human partner or an animal companion. Mine came from a little rat who caught my eye almost two years ago. If you've never have the pleasure to own a rat as pet you are truly missing out on something special. This can be said about any pet that a person has bonded with but for me, out of all the animals I have owned, never in my life had my heart been touched the same way a rat wormed its way in. Zephye was the first rat I ever owned in my life, you could say that in itself is special enough but Zephye was so much more than that. I remember the first time that he jumped onto my shoulder and licked my cheek, how he would lick my hands grooming it like I was another rat, how he would brux and boggle as pet him, how he would jump into my lap just to have some affection, how he would comfort me when I was sad and lick my cheeks (maybe more for the salty tears but it made me feel better), how he would sit there to just cuddle with me, and how he would contently sit on my shoulder to watch me game, or draw, or just simply surf the internet. Of course, those good things came with mischief as well, stealing full slices of pizza when I'm not looking, throwing my papers around, chewing and wrecking expensive pencils and walking all over my keyboard when I'm in the middle of a video game. Let's not even start with the amount of times you've peed on me or daddy and the things we own.

I remember the day that I found you at the pet store; it was the weekend of my birthday. I wanted to see the animals at the pet store before the movie as I so often do. And there you were, the most adorable thing I had ever laid my eyes on. I knew I didn't want to leave that place without you. Maybe it was an impulse buy, but your dad agreed to bringing you home. So there it was, the story of how you came to be our 'son'. Of course, we couldn't see a movie with a rat hiding in my bag so that date was cancelled and we went home with you. Snuck you into my house and made you a make-shift cage. You were our baby, our first rat, the first animal I ever took to a vet, the first animal I trained, the first pet I had purchased with someone I love, the first animal that I ever felt loved back from, the first animal I ever watched grow up, and the first animal I ever got to say goodbye to.

We knew we loved you as soon as we both held you. We watched you grow up from this tiny little thing to the handsome rat you had become. We took you to the vets many times, we watched you fight every infection off with so much spirit and we were there for you when you could no longer fight anymore. Although your time was short know that you will always be a part of our lives. It's sad we have to part ways so abruptly, life has not been kind to your health.

You were my 'child', my best friend, my reason for getting up in the morning, and the reason I fell in love with rats.

We wil always miss you, and it will hurt not seeing your face staring at us from the cage. Who knew that such a tiny creature could have such a huge impact in so little time. We've done the best that we could, in my heart I hoped you lived a wonderful life. It's okay to let go now, you'll find peace. You've fought long enough against all the illness thrown at you, now it's time to rest.

Goodbye Zephye, may you play hard and pain free at the bridge. Know that we will always love you.

Mom and Dad.

10357180_10154480378775611_8730954023244023310_n.jpg

392639_10152697672510611_499392409_n.jpg
photo.php

998857_10153920085530611_1306042927_n.jpg

10269549_10154112866770611_2388034461064169335_n.jpg

10527884_10154430593050611_3729335170007946890_n.jpg

10406901_10154185352880611_3166135205501949972_n.jpg

10458558_10154410219125611_8729756141383412011_n.jpg
1621995_10154425278155611_8330988804504066799_n.jpg

10604069_10154495941120611_6257962596560656421_o.jpg

Sleep well little one, we love you. :roseopen:

March 29 2013 - August 21 2014

Last edited:
I feel so chocked up reading this. I am so sorry. I remember my last 24 hours with my heart rat so clearly (she passed in June). It's hard to see them like this and to feel so helpless. You want to be able to take it all away from them and yet you can't.

It sounds like he was an incredible lil guy and that you were an amazing mom. You guys were all so lucky to be in each other's lives. Play hard at the bridge Zephye. <3<3<3

I'm so sorry. I too fell in love with Zephye he was just so perfect in everyway. I remember the first time I lost the first rat I owned, having my partner to grieve along with helped ease the pain. I'm glad you've got your fiance to cuddle up to and seek comfort in now. I promise the pain will get easier. Thank goodness you found Zephye and gave him a life of love and joy. Thinking of you xx

I am so sorry for loss. You did so much for your little man and he fought so hard. He is thanking you and his daddy from above for the wonderful life you gave him, that is certain. Rest well handsome Zephye.

What a lovely memorial to your little man. I am so glad fate brought you two together. Take heart knowing that you and your hubby gave him the best life he could have had, and that he loved you as much as you loved him. Safe travels to the Bridge Zeyphe, you are joining all our babies who have gone before you, and they will welcome you with open paws.
Hugs to the broken-hearted mom and dad. :hugs:

Oh my gosh, this touched me so deeply. I am so sorry about Zephye..the photos you posted of him were so beautiful and just amazing...Zephye was an absolute angel and your memorial and photos made me cry.

He was obviously a very, very special ratty and yes, your child, your son. We all know what this means to you, and us, on this forum. We all know that inexplicable joy and bond that we have with our rat kids. It is so amazing what they bring to our lives.

And we have all had that one special baby in our life that touches us to our soul and that we grieve over the worst. This was Zephye.

Remember that Zephye loved you so much and knew what special parents he had. I know you gave him a life of love and happiness with you and no rat could ask for more.

He was so beautiful and I know he is playing free and happy at the Bridge with no pain or illness...you will both see him again someday and in the meantime, he will be smiling down at you both.

Thank you so much for posting this beautiful story about your Love Boy, Zephye. He will be remembered always. :flowers2:

Thank you every one for your kind words. It's been hard the last few days, I haven't been able to respond since any time I read the comments and this thread it made me tear up or cry. My heart aches for the loss of my Zephye but I know my fiance and I did the best that we could. I'm also glad that our vet let us sit through the whole procedure, injection and all. We're having him cremated, he gets a customized urn from the place we got it done. Once Nemo passes we plan to use both their ashes to make a glass bead together. It's mostly been shock, since I can barely believe he's gone now, some days it doesn't even feel like he really left.

Oh, a memorial bead will be wonderful! I have offered to make a memorial bead for my friends when they have lost a pet, but no one has taken me up on it. What a nice way to keep them with you. A couple of my friends have gotten little charms where they can put some ashes in it and wear it on a necklace.

You and your fiance did right by him and you were there for him right through to the end. The memorial bead sounds just wonderful too. My husband and I have always had our beautiful babies cremated and brought back home in their little cherry wood urn boxes. I know that our ratties (and yours) are happily playing at the Bridge and that we only have their "shells" with us, but it still feels comforting to have their ashes with us always. I know you understand! :)

Again, what a beautiful tribute to your bubs, with the memorial bead, that is wonderful.

10473056_10154537554775611_7750314831514614234_n.jpg

Yes, the memorial beads I've seen are absolutely stunning. For now we have an urn that was personalized for us (apparently we're the first people to have a rat done). Nemo hasn't passed but we put his name there since we wanted them to share an urn as a bead won't use up all the ashes.

A lovely tribute to a beautiful little friend and son. It always hurts when they go; we never want them to leave. I know that their spirit always stays with us, but it doesn't feel the same as having them here in their physical form. You were meant to be with him, and him with you. He had the best life possible with parents who loved him so much, and you were both deeply touched by his love. I'd say that's the best thing possible, a true success, even when it hurts so much when they need to go Home. I'm so sorry for your grief. Been there many times and I know only too well how much it hurts. But all the love makes it worth it in the end. How could it have gone any other way? He will always be your loved, precious son, and he knows this, even now. Believe me, he knows this. My deepest condolences at this difficult time.

thank you for sharing. :flowers3:
Your pictures, words & memorial to your baby were lovely. Lotsa HUGS !:hugs:

For as much as he touched your lives, you touched his more. You were the little guy's world, and it sounds like he had a great one. I'm so sorry to hear that such a remarkable life has ended. I'm so sorry for the two of you. I sincerely hope you're able to find comfort and peace soon. I promise, there will be a time when - although it will still sting - you'll be able to look back on his brief time and laugh and remember all of the joy he brought with him. He was a beautiful boy, and it sounds like he was truly special. It must have been an honor to have had the time with him that you did. I remember hearing about his illness, and I'm glad at least that now he can get his well-deserved rest and peace.

Zephye, that is such a beautiful memorial box..fit for a king, or in your case, fit for TWO ratty kings, yes? It is just lovely, and a perfect memorial box for your boys, so they can be together always when Nemo is ready to go see his buddy again. :flowers3:

UhHuh and Carol left such beautiful tributes to your sweet Zephye and I echo their sentiments.

Did you know that my absolute favorite photo is the one of you and Zephye together, when you were cuddling him up next to your face? That photo is one you will be able to go back and look at time and time again and remember what a very special boy he was. (Of course, ALL of his photos were so touching and beautiful...and that last one of his sweet face with his eyes closed...)

He was so lucky to have so much love and joy in his life. You gave that to him and as Carol said, I know he is grateful and looking down at you with love.

And I know he gave that love and joy back to you a hundred times over.
All my love and condolences to you during this very hard time. :flowers:

I am so sorry for your loss of Zephye. I lost Molly and Gizmo a year ago and still grieving. I cried reading all the special messages and looking at Zephye's pix. What a beautiful boy. You were both excellant parents for him. No doubt Zephye's at the bridge playing with my little girls. I'll keep you in my thoughts and send healing vibes your way. Wishing you all good things.

Well said, Jotayma...I know my boys that have passed are busy at the Bridge playing with all the other ratties that have gone on as well. So I know my boys are now the best of friends with Zephye and your babies, and the list goes on. And we will get to see them all again someday. :roseopen:

I'm so sorry for your loss of Zephye. What a sweet face he had.

It's very hard losing them, and the memorial urn will help. I hadn't known about memorial beads.

RIP, Zephye.

Back