I'm afraid Cooper has a tumor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatTheHippie

Today I noticed a decently large lump on Cooper. I'm kicking myself for not finding it sooner, but it' in a weird spot, on the right side of his lower abdomen, right in the fold of where his thigh ends and tummy begins, and that area has a lot of skin and fur, so I didn't notice until today..

It doesn't feel like the abscesses I've dealt with a million times over before, it's about the size of a grape, but not hard or round, per say. I'd say it's more pillow shaped, and it's really soft and fleshy feeling under the skin. It also doesn't feel attached.

I've only ever dealt with mammary tumors in rats and both of them were females, can males get them too? The only other ratty I had who got tumors was my rescue Kreacher, who we noticed a lump on, then three days later he was covered in a whole bunch of lumps, which were inoperable due to there being so many, there was no way surgery was worth the risk since he'd die from it anyway. We let him live out the rest of his life comfortably, but he was only 3 months by the time he needed to be put down, all of his tumors turned necrotic and it was such a terrifying thing to witness.

I'm horrified this may happen to Cooper. Should I get it aspirated? what if it is a tumor, he had his first birthday back in June, is that too old for an operation? Is an operation even worth it? I haven't had anyone operated on since I lost Rhydian during her spay, it just makes me so nervous having them put under now..

Anyone have any answers for me? And please, everyone send well wishes to my sweet boy.. In this last month I just lost Edgar, and a close friend just lost her boy Romulous, who I was very close to swell (He was Dover's brother, and I used to baby sit him often.) I don't know if I can deal with another tragedy so soon.

I *think* males can get mammary tumours too, but I'm fuzzy on that as males supposedly don't have mammary tissue...
One year old is absolutely not too old for surgery! I have had a 2 1/2 year old who had a tumour removed. I know it is very scary after losing one of your babies to surgery, but you have to differentiate between the different types of surgery. A spay is a very invasive surgery, entering the abdominal cavity. A skin tumour is a totally different beast. It is OUTSIDE the abdominal cavity. You are only cutting skin, but not going through the muscle layer. So it is a much less traumatic surgery to have. Any surgery is a risk, but this is much lower. He is young and should do Ok. I always go for a tumour removal if at all possible, and the sooner (hence smaller) the better.

I cannot give you any advice, but I am here for you, even though you don't know me. He's a beautiful boy and I really hope that everything goes well for you! I will be lurking for updates. My rat Milo sends his well wishes too. :hugs:

Like Joanne said, it may be better to remove now before it gets bigger and hence more complicated. He is a good age still.

My heartrat Obie crashed an hour into recovery for a routine neuter, so I know that feeling of bring nerve wracked over the most routine things.

Lastly, I must mention - Cooper is one handsome hunk of a rat man! I am a total sucker for those little blondies

Yes, males can get mammary tumors, just not as commonly as females. If it feels loose and moveable, that's a good thing. Some people remove the tumors, and some just opt to keep the rat as comfortable for as long as possible - it can depend upon personal choices and also the type/growth rate of the tumor. I've found that tumors often came back again soon after a surgery; the surgery removed a symptom, but did not stop the source that produces tumors (which we haven't learned how to do yet). I have had some success shrinking tumors with holistic products (see the Budwig diet; just Google it), but it can vary from rat to rat and tumor type. Listen to your gut hunch regarding surgery and your general feelings regarding how your rat feels about having it done, and go accordingly. If you do go for surgery, make sure he eats before surgery (rats don't vomit like other animals, and require the food for energy) and make sure they keep him warm enough througout and after the procedure. Sending healing vibes to your beautiful boy.

That looks a lot like the "tumor" Bumbles had when I noticed it it was also about that size and stayed that way for a few weeks, but then all of a sudden it doubled/tripled in size and became hard. He was over two and we weren't going to have it removed since we knew he was at risk for PT since his dad and brother had it. I truly believe putting Kona under for lumps removals brought his PT on sooner. Bumbles pasted over the weekend and I wish he would of done a necropsy to find out it was, but we choose not to not him. Healing vibes and well wishes from all of us ..... :thewave:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, support, experiences, an answers. As of now, I've decided that surgery isn't an option. The location isn't somewhere cumbersome for him, and it's so soft and decently small that it doesn't effect him at all. He's still a happy, lazy boy, and when he's running around, or moving, he isn't bothered by it.

I'm going to monitor it daily, keep an eye on him, and cut sugars out of his diet to cut off it's growth. If it gets bigger, or starts to become a problem, then I'm going to have it aspirated to determine what it is before agreeing to a surgery. I just don't want to risk him, or rob him of any happy, healthy years he may have left if I lose him during surgery, or trigger a possible PT (he's a rescue, I have no idea of his genetics, so he's probably prone to all kinds of nasties like most of our rescues.)

I'll update this thread if anything changes, but thanks everyone once again! If you have any more advice or things to add, I'm totally open.

Back