Female Social Behavior

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AboutPetRats

I have had male rats for the past 15 years. Prior to that I did have five females, but it’s been a long time. I’d like to learn more about females and how they socialize with one another. Does one female usually establish dominance, similar to male behavior?

My current girls are Vera and Nora. Nora repeatedly pins Vera down on her back and grooms and/or nibbles at her. Vera doesn’t try to get away or avoid Nora. However, Vera does squeek quite a bit while she’s being pinned down and “harassed”. This occurs multiple times a day.

Is this normal for females? Anyone have knowledge and experience to share about the differences between all male or all female social groups?

5d8f9be5b20b8d536de92a51baec3117.jpg

Last edited:
This is normal for females. My own experience is that it's even more so when rats are not spayed and go into heat. It seems that rats in heat tend to bother the other females in the cage. Might be a hormonal thing?

I have spayed females and males and I have found their behaviours to be unique to them but not unique to their gender.

As they said, pinning is normal.
Unspayed females will also try to hump one another and will chase one another when someone is in heat.

I too spay all of my girls for the huge health benefits.
I also neuter all of the boy because of the health and behavioural benefits.

Thank you for your responses! I don't know why, but I was thinking the girls wouldn't be into establishing dominance to this extent---and in a way so similar to males.

Great to know you spay all of your females, jorats and SQ. I looked into getting my girls spayed when I first got them and the vets whom I use were not enthusiastic about performing the surgery. I'm going to have to find someone who is experienced with spaying rats if I have more girls in the future.

It's interesting that males and females are so different in so many ways, but not when it comes to establishing dominance.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Back