Foam Rat Toys!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumblesquid

Hey shackers!

So I've always been reluctant to give my rats foam toys. If you don't know what I mean, they are usually those foam craft sheets cut into fun shapes. But recently, I found some foam toddler toys at target that I convinced myself to buy and the rats LOVE THEM.

14981150412_6985ce7655_z.jpg

Yes, that's right, only ONE DOLLAR for twenty blocks! That's a steal compared to them on amazon where they sell for $8. Link to expensive version: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M7LYAWE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Anywho, I recommend stopping by your local target and checking the dollar section for these bad-boys. I'm going to go search the cage for some well-chewed foam bits, to show you all my rats' appreciation!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome, Peanut has had a heck of a time chewing the foam mats while he has been quarantined because of his eye removal.

Sometimes I buy them and sometimes I don't. I always get worried when I find bits of foam in their poop. Ugh! You aren't suppose to eat them you little critters.

One of my ferrets ate a piece of a foam earplug that was in a closet. An emergency surgery and $1000 later, he survived to play another day. No foam for my ratties!

I was always curious about the safety of it, too. Foam could really cause a blockage in the digestive tract because it absorbs/sticks. But on the other hand, I let my rats near plastic, and let them chew on non-toxic wood, too. They also occasionally eat paper... And on top of that, rats have flaps in their mouths to prevent them from swallowing things they gnaw on (read the ratbehavior.org page on teeth).

The only issue would be them eating it. As long as they chew and spit it out, I'm fine. Jorats' comment about finding foam in the poop does worry me. I'll have to check my rats' poop for some colored bits!

Thank you for the concerned replies, I will look into this more!

Back