How many rats in your bedroom?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edt94

Due to several different reasons, my bedroom in the basement is the only option for my two rats. It has taken some diligence on my part, but I've kept the room mostly stench free and well circulated.

My question is, how many rats could you feasibly (and healthily) care for within a small-mid sized bedroom? I would like to take on my girlfriend's two rats that need to be re-homed, but I have to make sure I can healthily manage it.

Does anyone else keep their rats in a bedroom? How many? What steps have you taken to keep the air clean?

If the room is decently ventilated and cages are cleaned often enough, you could have quite a few. A good air purifier is a good investment for your health and for theirs. Many people have a "rat room" - not necessarily a bedroom, but one room in a house dedicated to the rats. I have 13 rats that live with me in my bedroom, and had 17 at the most. I do a total clean twice a week, spot clean daily, run and air purifier and keep the door open and the window when weather permits. There is always a faint odor, bit list houses with animals have that "animal smell".

My fiance and me live in a bachelor apartment and we have had 5 rats at most so far (plus a rabbit). It didn't really smell in here and I did cage cleanings about once a week.

I only have two in my room, but I could probably have a few more if I had a bigger cage and wanted more than two haha. I clean the cage once a week and like said above I usually get comments about the smell close to cleaning day. Luckily my room is upstairs so it doesn't really go to the rest of the house, so the only person who ever complains is my brother whose room is close to mine. And he just has to deal with it for a day or two.

That would be where a well ventilated cage and good husbandry practices would really make a difference. I second the recommendation for an air purifier as well. Assuming you took care of all this I think two more would be just fine.

Use an air purifier with a permanent Hepta air filter and a replaceable carbon filter.
Make sure it is large enough for the room.
Do not use an ionizer as they will cause health issues for your rats.

as for your question .... I have had over 40 rats in a room (I rescue)
Today I have 14 rats in a room (housesitting godmother's 5, and I only have 9 as I killed (vet humanely pts) my sweet Joel on Monday

As others said, large ventilated cages, air circulation, good cleaning, and an air purifier

Last edited:
Appreciate the ideas, everyone! I've been super skeptical about those air purifiers, but the recommendation seems to be unanimous. Looks like I'll have to pick one up at WalMart where they'll let me return it if I don't like it. :) Up to now, I've had pretty good results using extremely mild essential oils in a vapor diffuser. Of course, it's a bit of a pain sifting through all the scientific research about which essential oils are pet/rat friendly, so I only have about 2 oils that I'm comfortable using. The diffuser only serves to mask for small periods, though. It seems that any essential oils that actually cleanse the air are also bad for little rat lungs (like tea tree, never use tea tree).

My main set-back is that I have family working out of the basement, so clients definitely cannot smell my room under any circumstance. But, I suppose that can be solved by performing a cleaning just before I think the cages actually need it :p

Also, my condolences to your ratty, Joel, SQ. :(

Last edited:
Do not use an ionizer as they will cause health issues for your rats.

What sort of problems do they cause? My hepa filter has an ionizer that can be turned on/off. It has been running beside the rats for 13 months. My 7 girls are 18 months and none of them have ever been sick. My boys have been but they are/were close to 3.

I have had 18 in a small room and had no problems as long as everything was kept clean, door was left open and used a hepa filter.

I don't keep them in my bedroom, but they have their own bedroom and there is 17 in there - they so get stinky if we don't keep up on the cage cleaning.

Mine have their own bedroom. Right now I have 6 & 1 guinea pig.
I have had as many as 18 + the pig :kisses:.

I would say as long as you keep on top of the cleaning - the skies the limit !:cheer: My ratties think I am their personal maid - which I guess I am! LoL!

Back