Dosing help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
My 3 week old has a starting resp. infection. My vet perscribed Doxycycline 0.17cc every 12 hours for 10 days. Is this correct for a 35G baby? He gets this twice a day. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey peeps correct me on my math if I'm wrong but that dose seems high to me.

A 35gram baby should receive 0.175-0.35 mg every 12 hrs. What has been prescribed is 1.7mg every 12 hrs.

So I should give him .175?
The vet tech said he did put some aloe in it (I have no clue why..)
That is kind of hard to measure on this:
0819142141_zpsc1f360fb.jpg

So I would almost go to the point 2? I really just don't want to mess this up.

Last edited:
Okay, I do need to give it soon though as I have to go to bed. As long as I know where it is on the syringe I showed because I don't want to screw it up! :undecided:

It would be safe to round to 0.02 mL as that is still in safe dose range. Then it is the second teeny black line before the 0.1. So very small.

Thanks so much for your help! I thought it was a little high, thats why I asked
Hopefully someone can confirm what you said and I can give him the full amount in the morning :)

I concur with the .02 cc every 12 hours. You are a smart rat mom, that dose on the label (hopefully a typo, as I got .0175 originally and rounded up), could have been very very dangerous.

Good luck sweetums!!

Make sure you insist the vet give you more antibiotics for at least another 10 more days.

You could try mixing it with something yummy as long as it doesn't contain calcium (which will bind with the Doxy). Then he might lick it up.

Back