Are my rats scared or do they love me?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiaChey

Hi, I have two baby rats and when I get them out of their cage they run up my shirt and sit and hide in my hair. They move back and forth from shoulder to shoulder sometimes. But is that normal for baby rats to do that?

Rats seem to love hair. If they were scared they would probably try to get away from you or they may paralyze themselves in fear hoping you won't see them if they don't move. I'd say the fact your rats are interacting with you is a good sign they love you.

I have long hair. I've had some fuzzballs who seem to find great thrill in playing with my ponytail.

Very aptly named as a rat's nest, after they have groomed me.

This has been my experience with all of my rats, as I have long hair. Its their security. They are getting to know your smell, and soon will be exploring, and then running back to you. Enjoy this time! My rats are a year old and still will hide in my hair, and sometimes even chew on it, but I make the same noise they do when they fight, so they are now conditioned, lol. They will bond very quickly, so dont worry. Rats are very good at sensing worry or fear. When I cry...my rats lick the tears off my face-they know, I swear! Take special care sweetie, as you are in for a real pleasant journey.:heart:
Hugs,
Lorry

They LOOOVE hair. My babies rat god mother has super long curly hair and they love to crawl through it, "brush" it, smell it, weave through it!
Then when she goes back to her girls they grab strands of her hair and vigorously sniff it haha!
My boys started by sitting in my hair, then it progressed to "brushing" it then they started working their way around to lip kisses and attempts to clean ears and teeth.

As the others have said, not to worry, your rats are seeking your clothing and hair as their safety net. Rats do love hair (my boys always loved to tease my hair with their fingers and give me a new "hairstyle" all the time...so sweet) and your girls are hiding in your clothes as it makes them feel safe and secure. It sounds to me like they have decided you are their safe person. Keep interacting with them, let them go in your clothes, under your hair, talk to them in soothing, soft tones and they will understand you are their Mom and you will protect them. This is a wonderful thing! :nod:

Thank you all so very much for all your replies it helps me very much! Now I know I'm doing something right:)

Ok now I have another question, why are my girls hard to get out of their cage? Is it because their still little?

Well, if you are randomly just putting your hands in to grab them and take them out, then you have to remember that:

1. They are not going to be happy about "the big scary hands" swooping down to grab them without warning, and

2. If they are relaxing in their hammocks, or resting/sleeping, maybe eating or grooming or doing their ratty activities, it might be good to think that this would not be a preferable time to decide to take them out.

You have to think of what is best for them and what they want to do (or don't want to do).

Picking times when they are not sleeping/eating, relaxing is good, like when they look interested in seeing you approach or running up to their door or bars to see you would show that they are probably up for some outside love/play time with you.

Just remember, you do not want to scare or frighten them when going to take them out. Not sure if this was the right answer or advice for your question?

Rats are prey animals. It's instinct for them to fear being picked up especially since they are fairly new to you. As they get more familiar it shouldn't be as much of a problem. I would try to go slowly. Letting them know it's you in their cage maybe talk to them or pet them ensuring they are comfortable then sliding your hand underneath them to lift as opposed to sweeping over top.

Trihkal, great point and I completely forgot about mentioning that! The old "hands sweeping down" thing that can mimic a hawk or prey bird kind of thing that can freak out and scare little furry critters like rats. Yes, definitely bringing the hands under the ratties to scoop them, rather than from overhead is a great thing to remember! :)

Thanks to all y'all. My girls are warming up to every body and claiming down my arms to explore what ever I touch

Last edited:
Thanks to all y'all. My girls are warming up to every body and claiming down my arms to explore what ever I touch

Excellent! Good to hear. :)

Rats love their people, if they have kind and loving people that love them. They all want a chance to love their adopted human parents. :D

Back