My two feeder girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trihkal

After losing 3/4 ratties in a month I took in two little girls. Their situation was truly tragic. They were ripped away from their mom way too young (I think they said 3 weeks). Then they were supposed to be feeders but the snake wouldn't eat them. I guess they were in the tank with him for quite so time. These girls were so small when we first got them. My guess is they were 6-9 weeks.

They hadn't be socialized whatsoever with humans. It appears the most handling they got was being separated from mom. After a lot of work I have been able to get them to take food from my hand. Orchid will sometimes climb on me. Nisa is terrified of me.

I have rescued before but never like this. We seem to have maybe regressed a bit or definitely hit a road block. My question is how would I go about socializing them now? Do I pick them up? They get so scared when I do but the regressing may have occurred when I stopped. I'm second guessing myself a lot. Do I bring them out with me often, a little, never unless they choose to leave the cage by themselves? I would really love to help them feel more safe and live the happy little ratty lives all rats deserve.

There might be an old thread on this topic, but the general rule is to keep at it until they finally figure out that you are safe. I think that lilspaz68 has had a few that took a very long time.

A favourite way to get them used to you is to put on two t-shirts (inner one should have a crew neck and long sleeves to protect you against little ratty claws), and to put the frightened ratties between the two shirts. That way they are protected by the outer shirt and yet they get used to your smell and your warmth.
My most scared rat (Caramel, who'd lived in a tiny cage alone for nine months) went still with fear when I put her inside my shirt, but she eventually got used to me.

Good luck! Feeding nice treats from your hand will eventually soften them up, too.

I agree with forced socialization. That just means making them come out and be with you even if they don't want to. "Down-the-shirt" socialization is a great technique and the rats I used this on would try and climb up my sleeve when I was reaching into the cage. :)

Down the shirt together works.

But I have found that handing them treats, putting my hand in the cage near them while talking softly (if they are not biters) .... and seeing how my other rats are - ie not afraid, happy to see me etc ..... help unsocialized ratties to become less afraid, feel safe, and become willing to be petted and come to me for treats.
Once they feel safe and are confident enough to take treats from me, then forced socialization if necessary.

Thanks guys. SQ that was where I started. Doing all those little things. I tried some forced socialization then felt bad for scaring them as they have been through enough. So I just kept up with those little things. I am going to start doing forced socialization again though.

How often should it be done? I assume it should increase with time? Should it be for longer or shorter sessions?

I always used to pace around with them for 20 minutes a night. Most warmed up within 2 weeks. But idk, your girlies may need more time than that. So glad you got them. Lucky ladies :)

That's what I was wondering. I have never had a situation this severe before. With a lot of work they are coming around. I just wanted to know what you guys would do as you have a lot of wisdom and experience.

Back