Sid - downhill fast. PT?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

Apologies in advance for typos length run ons and rambles. Bit frazzled

posted earlier in the wk about Sid's itching the past month. Have treated for mites w Revo, olive oil oral and topical for dry skin, humidity in rat room, and Benadryl. No response. I mention this because, while I don't see it listed anywhere, I'm wondering if it could be a hormonal disturbance caused by PT.

Aside for itching he has been otherwise fine until Wednesday evening. Mom commented he seemed off, but there was nothing too specifically off. And he's been mildly "off" since July 1, when his cagemate died. Coincidentally same time itching started. Talked to vet Thursday morning but had to choose whether to take Eugene for his almost end stage pulm abscesses to get dex, or bring Sid. Dr p wouldn't give dex for Eugene w/I seeing him and he needs it. Sharing that appt to pick up moose and mo post op and go over their instructions etc. beating myself for bringing Sid along for the hell of it now.

Last night got home from vet he was "off" again. Between weds and today it's like he's aged a year. He turned 2 yesterday. Prior to wednesday the only issue was itching which I was still trying to figure out. All the other symptoms didn't start til weds night

So you don't have to ask a ton of questions, here is a list. I have looked him over head to toe and nearly inside out yesterday and today:

His pupils are normal and equal in size
No bulging eye
No cloudiness
They do look...glassy? Not sure that's best word
Ears look/smell normal
Teeth normal length, bottoms more skated than most but they always have been. Not smelling or seeing anything in there.
Red staining appearing last night on forearms. Can figure where it's coming from. Some red around nose yesterday hit don't see any today (could be grooming off)
Can't feel any lumps or bumps anywhere
I cannot hear anything around his nose or when rat phoning

He was eating solid food without much enthusiasm up until a little while ago. Watched him pick up a bit of cereal with both hands, put it down, sniff around, pick up again and eventually discard and toddle off.
He is licking up baby cereal now without difficulty, making small mess but that is somewhat typical of him.
Yesterday seemed the level in water bottle had not dropped, put water bowl in cage and he drinks what seems like a normal amount from bowl
Today he is wobbling when he walks. Not listing to either side and I can't say if there is weakness concentrated on either side or end. Looks pretty equally wobbly on all sides. Not dragging or falling over while walking, yet. No, I cannot upload a video from my phone. Sorry. Don't have a computer either.
He is itching much less today. But he has gone to groom his flank and rolls over backwards. I can't remember if he has always done this because he is round, or not
He does not walk in circles
He seems lucid but just not completely "there"
He occasionally comes out of his box and wanders the room. He stops occasionally to grind teeth. Just seems to be progressing noticeably since 1pm today

This one scared me. Last night he was sitting over his wooden chew ball thing, not propped over it like rat with bad resp, just more like he was chewing toy got tired and dozed off standing there. Scary part - his resp rate slowed, timed it twice at 54 and 60 breaths per minute. Seems very slow even for asleep? I reached out to him and he deny cold. Picked him up, held him, breathing picked up a touch but just yikes never saw that before.

This morning at 4 he was out and not looking bad.

What have I not covered?

I can't get him to dr p today - too far, no appts and they close soon. If it's PT, he will prescribe bromo and a steroid (I think?) but he does not stock in house, rx is sent out and drugs mailed. When L got bromo he put a rush on it and she had to call comp pharm mult times and it still took a week.

My old vet has no openings today and they are even further so can't get there. They also don't know what a PT is. Dr P not open tomorrow, booked appt at 11 with doc at old clinic buried have never met him before and am td he's the guinea pig d pert so go figure

I mentioned in jorats' kidney thread earlier today I wondered if he had kidney disease. Was reading about uremic pruritus on pts w kidney disease so got wondering about it. His mobility reminds me a lot if Wolfie when he went into kidney failure. But I guess the classic kidney symptoms aren't there, and even if they were - excessive thirst, urination, dehydration - aren't those seen in PT as well sometimes?

L has bromo she has offered to make available if I need it after her PT lad Mozart passed. Trying get hold of her but I think she is at work now.

So. Sounds a lot like PT right now. If I can reach L and report exactly what bromo she has (dunno if it comes I'm different concentrations ?) and we can come up w a dose should I start him on it?

If I can't reach her and Sidney pie is still hanging in there, can anyone give me good links/sources for PT info to bring to this guinea pig vet tomorrow? This clinic is the place that lectured me before when myself and the entire rat shack and rat guide and basically the whole world knew Bear gag CHF but I was explained that I couldn't just "print any old junk" off the internet and expect it to be legit o_O This particular doc might actually have a working brain in his head so maybe not going to meet resistance but need to be prepared....

So sorry this is so rambly and not too coherent. Just very upset that I didn't fight harder to get Sid in yesterday, was si focused on my argument for getting Eugene dex (I have been having this argument w dr p for several years and yesterday finally when he agreed we could do dex if pulm abs present and compromising QOL). Morning of Sid wasn't looking bad so went with Eugene. Urgh.

Again, sorry it's rambly :/ Im not ready to lose Sid yet :(

Wow there is a lot going on there! I too thought of Finn and his kidney disease, but he started out with dragging his rear legs. I really don't think PT with those symptoms. Finn seemed itchy and lost a lot of fur, but he wasn't very well nutritioned either since he had trouble eating - he was just a mess. The fore arm staining is more than likely porphyfin that he rubbed off - I see that alot. When rat phoning you say you don't hear anything - Do his heart tones/beats sound normal? I'm going to re-read this later when I get home from work - I'm going to send you a pm

He rarely contents himself to be captive in mama's arms more than a few minutes. And yet, here he lays.

Definitely having trouble now picking up foods so made lab block mush.

L said if dr B will be agreeable to bromo, she'll give me hers immediately to get him started while we wait for the compound pharmacy and I can just give her mine to replace what I take from her whenever it arrives.

His back legs are going all splayed and he's making a mess with mush food. Was scratching his bum and usually he turns to lick me but instead he chewed on me hard :(

y3u2abem.jpg

Classic PT. Wally has almost all your symptoms. His skin is very dry and I cannot seem to get it moist (he's a nakie). He's confused, ambling, stops dead in weird places and zones out...unable to eat hard food well but gobbled soft lab block mush...when he remembered it was there. He's on his 2nd day of bromo.

Will your vet not just give you a script for a pharmacy then you call around and find the best price? I pay a LOT less than with my vet now and no waiting really. Call pharmacy, ask if they keep it in stock, ask how much for prescription with fee, for a pet...they often add a small surcharge for this.

My main challenge is getting this guy to write a script tomorrow. Sid was "off" the past day or so but the blatant identifying symptoms didn't start showing until this afternoon. I left a msg for dr P asking him to please call me, but they close at 6 and see animal control patients Friday nights. No words from him until Monday I bet. He is also still learning about PT so unlikely to just write a script.

If the guy tomorrow will agree to it, I'll try your idea. Appt not til 11 so will call around before that. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've never actually treated a PT. I've had 2 suspected but they were both very sudden and quick and never had chance to seek treatment. Well, I took Moosie in but the only vet on call was the cat lady and she said all she could do was PTS and he was so bad by the time we got there I agreed figured he would die before I could find a better vet.

Anyway. I read about dex with bromo. Do I ask for that as well? And if I get bromo filled locally, do I have to compound it myself? I'm new to both of these drugs and using for this condition. Feel very unsure of what to ask for.

I use dex as a booster to the bromo building up in the system, but that's often when the rat is going downhill quickly. If your Sid is like my Wally, he can probably wait to see if the bromo works. If I can do it this way I prefer to, then I know that the bromo (and not the dex) is working or not working.

I'm sorry it sounds like your boy has a PT. I hope it responds to the medication.
My girl Dixie has a PT and she is on Cabergoline. I get the vet to call it in to my pharmacy.
It has been 9 weeks and she is still going strong, so don't lose hope!

Yea, now your sounding like PT. You can also see if they will give you a prescription for pepcid to make the meds easier on his tummy.

So sorry to read about Sid.
It seems these %#$@&*! PTs are waaaaay too frequent in rats.

Wishing you & your baby all the best:heart:

He's had horrid diarrhea twice tonight. I have tried mixing oxbow dust and mush into baby cereal and baby food as he won't eat any solids. Anything to help w the diarrhea?

He's not drinking any water. I assume the moisture in baby food will help but will it be enough, especially since he also has diarrhea?

Don't have fluids here but reckon I will ask vet so will have if needed. Wouldn't have a clue how much to give how often. Vet oughta know...

Dr. B turned out to be pretty cool, open minded, somewhat familiar w PT, and definitely likes rats. He knew about Cabergoline but not bromo, so did some research. He recommended the caber but said if I preferred bromo because of the price he would write rx for it. Since he was recommended the caber, that is what we're going with. Local CVS stocks so going to get it shortly.

Question: is there anything this medication should *not* be mixed with? Anything anyone would suggest it goes really well with? I will try to look at threads to get ideas when I get home but if anyone has input, feel free to share.

We discussed possibly adding a steroid later, and I forgot to ask, but what would be a sign that it's time to try adding one?

I'm so glad Dr B was cool. Have been stressing all night about this appt so relieved he was willing to trust my judgement about PT.

You can give dex with the caber. Cannot give metacam or pred. with the bromo/dex so I assume its the same for caber. Caber is the recommend med of the two, but it cost around $300. We were giving Kona 30 mls of fluid 10ml three times a day.

You can give dex with the caber. Cannot give metacam or pred. with the bromo/dex so I assume its the same for caber. Caber is the recommend med of the two, but it cost around $300. We were giving Kona 30 mls of fluid 10ml three times a day.

I am not giving dex yet. Basing that off lilspaz's note above that says it may be ok to wait and give the med time to work. But she said that of bromo, not caber, so unsure.

Vet said we could consider adding a steroid later if necessary, I'm just not sure what constitutes "necessary" and didn't have a chance to ask.

Sid is so sleepy. He fell asleep on me after meds and I could seriously spend eternity just like that, with a snoozing rat in my arms.

I get the Cabergoline tablet. Because of Dixie's weight, I can just halve it. I put the half tab into a 1cc syringe and then add about 0.1ml of fluid (juice to try and mask the flavour). The tablet dissolves after about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I can squirt it into her mouth followed by a couple of rinses to get the rest of the med. The benefit of the tab is the very small amount needed to be given, because they HATE the taste of it and will fight like the dickens. Which is good in that they have the energy TO fight I guess...
Necessary is if it seems like the Caber is not working and he is going downhill.

^ ok, thanks Joanne. Will give caber some time and hold off steroids unless he declines.

After dinner. He's never slept this way a day in his life. But he seems pretty content at the moment.
haqaja4y.jpg

Back