Where to buy food???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylerwaugh

I'm looking for someone that sells mazzuri 6f or a comparable brand for a reasonable price in a 50 lb bag in the Toronto area. The only place I have found is rens and on the site it only has a little bag and all reptiles and they charge $60 a bag but it's MSRP is around $25.

I think you'll hear a lot of people recommend Oxbow Regal Rat here. I ship in 18lbs of oxbow approx once a month from Pet Food Direct for about $54. But I'm in US, but i believe i have seen that they ship to Canada. I know that company has many brands, so check there and see it they have what you need and can ship for decent price.

I too buy the oxbow, but from drsfosterandsmith.com in a 20lb bag for $36.99, with a $49 order they ship free to US. Plus, if you put it on autoship every 10th order is free. I believe they now ship to Canada, but I don't know the rates.

I've also heard of people feeding hog pellets and saying it's a similar food and meets the rats nutritional requirements just cheaper, what are your guys opinions on that? If I fed this stuff I would also add fresh veggies, seeds etc.

Sorry about all the questions but I found a local shop with

Harlan Global Lab Blocks 18% Protein Rodent Diet

Is this a good staple diet, also babies and nursing females should have more protein right? Could I just give them some cooked chicken or something instead to boost protein, what do you guys do to boost protein in young rats and pregnant/lactating females?

I get my Harlan from Flower Town Chinchillas in Brampton - its $26+tax for a 33lb bad

Yes, the 18% is what is fed to nursing mommas and babies - but once they become 6-8 months of age, you should switch to the 14% (males) or the 16% (females).

What if it's a colony of males and females should they be fed 14% and give each female some egg or meat to boost their protein. How do you do it if there's both genders together?

Actually nursing moms and babies are fine with 14% protein ....

I have males and females (all neutered and spayed)
I feed all of my rats Harlan Teklad 2014 - it has 14% protein .... and I too order it from Flowertown Chinchilla.
Many stores also sell oxbow regal rat (14% protein)

18% protein is much too high for rats,
14% protein is actually too high but the impact is lessened as rats are feed daily vegs in addition to having lab blocks available at all times

Recommended blocks are oxbow regal rat (14% protein), Harlan Teklad 14% protein, and Living World hamster extrusion blocks (16% protein)

Hog pellets are not ok

Last edited:
Now I'm confused people with diffrent opinions :p. Does anyone already go to flower town chinchillas and live closer to durham/toronto that would be able to pick up an extra bag of food? Because I don't drive and getting my mom to drive that far for rat food isn't going to happen:p.

Now I'm confused people with diffrent opinions :p. Does anyone already go to flower town chinchillas and live closer to durham/toronto that would be able to pick up an extra bag of food? Because I don't drive and getting my mom to drive that far for rat food isn't going to happen:p.
Just go online and buy some Oxbow. It's what I use.

I just noticed this. Ren's carries the Mazuri 6F (50 lbs for about $35.00, the closest location would be Oakville.

Flowertown in Brampton sells the higher quality Harlan Teklad for $26.65 for 33 lbs, but you either need to pick up or they will ship it for almost the cost of the bag.

Back