Itchy - does not seem to be mites or lice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

Sid has been itching up a storm the past month. I treated him at the end of June with Revolution, and again this evening since he's still itchy. Never saw any nits or lice. No scabs. Dandruff. The humidity here is pretty high, not dry in the house but I may buy new humidifier anyway and run it. I rubbed him with some olive oil on Monday evening and have been giving bread with olive oil to try helping w the dry skin.

Sounds weird but this started right around the time his cagemate Lucky passed. No new foods, just the usual oxbow plus occasional veggies and sometimes treats here and there. Baffled. Poor old guy is supposed to be celebrating his second birthday this week but he's so miserable itchy, it's breaking my heart.

I gave him .5mL kiddy benadryl last night (he could have had more but I don't have an exact weight on him he's between 500 - 600g), but he and I both went to sleep after and I didn't have time to watch him closely this morning other than to note he was bright alert and well.

I will still try the humidifier - my sinuses are a mess the past few days and it's possible the air is drier than I think.

Is he a nakie? I know Kat the hippie using aveeno baby lotion on her nakie. We've been given this http://www.exoticdvm.com/Booster to add to their oxbow, but we haven't tried it yet. We are going to start putting it in our new nakie's food since they seem to have some dry skin.

Is he a nakie? I know Kat the hippie using aveeno baby lotion on her nakie. We've been given this http://www.exoticdvm.com/Booster to add to their oxbow, but we haven't tried it yet. We are going to start putting it in our new nakie's food since they seem to have some dry skin.

No, he's a black berk. And a right handsome one, too :)
I'm going to wait to see a) if the Revolution for some reason helps this time (when it didn't last time), b) if he responds to benadryl, and c) if a humidifier will help.

Thanks for the link. That looks similar to a kind we used to use, but our vet stopped carrying it. May have to order some now. Thanks!

Back