Harvey - Oct. 2013 to July 28, 2014 :'(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

You think you have all the time in the world, you don't get to know them the way you should, you don't take enough pictures...then suddenly they are gone. Lesson learned. Don't assume anything with our wonderful rats...live each day as if its their last, as best as you can. RIP Harvey, it was nice you came to visit for awhile. :(

Ollld story. Two rats bought, supposed to be male until ooops one gives birth...this is where the fun begins for plenty of new owners. They don't have time to learn about how to care for their rat properly, they are just inundated with the unknown and trying to cope. The first litter is mostly sold, then the girls are found in the boy's cage...more pregnancies ensue. At this point its only 1 girl with a litter but only time will tell if the other girl was "found" in the boys cage as well. Mom, her friend and the 9 very lucky pinkies are safe at their new forever home and will be for the rest of their lives. The 4 boys who comprise of a young dad and his 3 sons are here. On their first night I dumped them into a small purple bottom I keep setup and ready to go for emergencies, and they thought it was a Palace!

Then again, THIS was their former home....yes ALL 4 boys...

http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/my-first-hamster-home-2story-4pack.htm

Harvey the Dad is probably 4-5 months old, and he's very worried about everything. On the chair he would not settle, he was very scared and trying to find a way out...at first his boys were running with him, but after awhile they settled down and ignored his antics for the most part. He's going to need the most work obviously. He seems bright, just focused on other things but it will be a lovely day when he stops, takes a breath, really looks at and sees me...then the proverbial light bulb will go off above his head and he's going to be wonderful.

Unfortunately we had only started on this journey. In May I found Harvey limp, and cold and breathing slowly. I was sure he was dying. there was no lung sounds but just in case I gave him antibiotics, and fluids, and held him against my body to keep him warm. He recovered within 24 hours and I thought he was fine. He also was starting to relax and warm up with me. At this point he was foster Dad to a whole pile of young boys besides his remaining son and he loooved them. I found him last night, flat on his belly and just gone. It looked like he went quickly. :(

March 7 was arrival day, the only pics I have of him. :(

Harvey with Humphrey and his 2 other sons that were adopted out.

Mar714Dadand2sons.jpg~original

Harvey was beautiful

Mar814Daddy2.jpg~original

Mar714Dad2.jpg~original

Mar714Dad.jpg~original

:rose3: RIP precious Harvey! I'm sure he knew he ended up in a wonderful forever home. I too don't take enough pictures.

I'm sorry he left so soon before truly understanding how wonderful his human can be, but it sounds like he was really enjoying his life and role of foster dad.
Rest easy Harvey...

You are right Shelagh, Harvey was a very handsome guy and such a sweet face. I wish I had not clicked on that link that showed the hamster cage. :tearful: I promise to stay away from clicking on links from now on that show "the old life".

I know Harvey had love and finally felt safe with you and he was so lucky to get to you and live a good ratty life. I am so sorry you did not get more time with him. Always reminds us all to cherish every second. Rest peacefully sweet Harvey.

Back