GMC - necropsy results

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

I have to start by saying I am glad we choose to have the necropsy done as the results were quite shocking. I'm also not completely sure of all the results as I only spoke briefly with her today as I was there for Peanut. She will email me the results and GRAPHIC pictures later, but wanted to make sure I still wanted them. I will post them if you guys would like me to or I can pm them privately to anyone that would like to see them. So here it goes.

Turns out GMC did NOT have lung abscesses or myco. He had some form, from what she can tell, of cancer. She would classify it as lymphoma rather than a sarcoma. One of the tumors/lesions had liquid come out of it when opened. From what I understood he had many nodules, but I could be wrong. He also had an enlarged vena cava which after seeing Snickers and Grumpy she is consulting with a pathologist because she is starting to wonder if the enlarging of the heart/vena cava isn't secondary to the respiratory issues rather than vice versa.

This is were I'm not entirely sure that she said, either his trachea or brocheal tube - something like that was necrotic and he only had about 24 hours left before he would of died from when we euthanized. I will update further when I get the email.

wow -- it's so hard to know what is going on inside sometimes...
it's got to be terribly hard to have a necropsy done - but definately can give some answers & of course can help others.

wow -- it's so hard to know what is going on inside sometimes...
it's got to be terribly hard to have a necropsy done - but definately can give some answers & of course can help others.

I look at it as a surgery and I don't let them touch the head. Having one done on Snickers has helped his siblings and GMC may help some rattie down the line. Grumpy is on heart meds now since we got an x-ray on him do to him being Snickers brother and his heart is enlarged too.

I look at it as a surgery and I don't let them touch the head. Having one done on Snickers has helped his siblings and GMC may help some rattie down the line. Grumpy is on heart meds now since we got an x-ray on him do to him being Snickers brother and his heart is enlarged too.

Your first sentence is quite remarkable. I think that is a great outlook.

It has helped his brothers here. I know know to watch for this. I have 4 agoutis, one patch faced boy, 2 naked boys from that same house they came from. we have 3 on heart meds. I would love to do necropsy on the all but I cannot being a rescue, her doing it has helped me in watching our rescue boys a little closer here. Since they are now lifers over this. It is like donating organs in humans these necropsy saved these boys lives here.

Very interesting. Will she have the nodules tested? I get necropsies done all the time, it helps me learn and it helps my vet learn too.

Very interesting. Will she have the nodules tested? I get necropsies done all the time, it helps me learn and it helps my vet learn too.

No, I do not believe anything is being tested just discussed. Since I'm a regular customer they do not charge for them.

It's always useful to have a necropsy, even though it's hard. I would like to see you post the info your vet sends.

You can put "not for the squeamish" in the thread title, so people will know not to look unless they are ready.

It's always useful to have a necropsy, even though it's hard. I would like to see you post the info your vet sends.

You can put "not for the squeamish" in the thread title, so people will know not to look unless they are ready.

I'm still waiting for it...I thinking she forgot again :confused2:

Back