Peanut's eye thread - Possibly NOT the end!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Peanut has always had a porphyfin eye! Usually we eye it or put some eye ointment on it, but last night it was clouded over and nasty looking. This morning it looks like this......

IMG_7911_zpsebb4ed6d.jpg

IMG_7907_zpsa5f0fe48.jpg

It looks like it ruptured. The cloudiness was likely an infection and it caused it to rupture. I think he needs an enucleation now.

^ Agreed. I have heard of them shriveling up after a rupture and healing okay (although not usable) but I would worry if it was caused by infection that there's still infection behind needing to be cleaned out.

How scary for you and for him. Sending healing vibes. *hugs*

That is ugly looking! What did the vet say? Hopefully they removed his eye or set him up for it.

Peanut is not a happy rat man - he has been separated from his buddies for awhile and we are watching the eye over the next day or two. If it gets worse we will remove it, but hopefully, like Jack's it will just dry up. He has an ulceration that ruptured although I have no idea what he did and I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't a fight. :sick:

He's on metacam .33 once a day , baytril .25 once a day, flurbiprofen opthalmic solution 1 drop 2-3 times a day, and neomycin & polymyxin B sulfates & bacitracin zinc ointment 2-3 times a day.

My precious peanut (coconut) is 996 grams

OH MY!!!!

Your poor baby . Your ratties are so fortunate to have such a wonderful MoM! You have had so many that have had issues - bless your wonderful/caring heart. :hug4:
I hope Peanut is ok.

Peanut is not a happy rat man - he has been separated from his buddies for awhile and we are watching the eye over the next day or two. If it gets worse we will remove it, but hopefully, like Jack's it will just dry up. He has an ulceration that ruptured although I have no idea what he did and I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't a fight. :sick:

He's on metacam .33 once a day , baytril .25 once a day, flurbiprofen opthalmic solution 1 drop 2-3 times a day, and neomycin & polymyxin B sulfates & bacitracin zinc ointment 2-3 times a day.

My precious peanut (coconut) is 996 grams

The oral doses look low to me for such a big boy, what is the concentration of your baytril?

I assume your metacam is 1.5 mg/ml...your vet is dosing at 0.5 mg/kg and I think you could at least go to .8 mg/kg (.53 cc)

Is there any smell from his eye?

Metacam is 1.5 mg/ml in 5ml
Baytril is 100 mg/ml in 5ml

Yes, there was some smell to the eye, but it wasn't terribly offensive. However, I can tell more from looking at the picture his face is swollen under the eye. I'm wondering if there is a tooth problem, but I guess that probably isn't likely since there is an ulceration to the eye. Or is it?

Metacam is 1.5 mg/ml in 5ml
Baytril is 100 mg/ml in 5ml

Yes, there was some smell to the eye, but it wasn't terribly offensive. However, I can tell more from looking at the picture his face is swollen under the eye. I'm wondering if there is a tooth problem, but I guess that probably isn't likely since there is an ulceration to the eye. Or is it?

So you have 100 mg/ml baytril or you have 20 mg/ml baytril (100 mg/5 ml)?

at 100 mg/ml his dose would be .1 cc
at 20 mg/ml his dose would be .5 cc

So you have 100 mg/ml baytril or you have 20 mg/ml baytril (100 mg/5 ml)?

at 100 mg/ml his dose would be .1 cc
at 20 mg/ml his dose would be .5 cc

Bottle says (pre-mixed) Give 0.25 ml by mouth ONCE daily for 14 days Baytril oral (100mg/ml) (5 ml) - think that means there is 5 ml in the bottle

Poor baby. Sending healing vibes. Hope it will just shrink up and not require surgery. But be ready for it.

I was ready for it yesterday. He is so depressed looking and isn't really eating much. My poor boy, gave him a dish of baby food - he buried it with carefresh! Yogies is about all he will take. Going to try some fruit soon after he gets his pain meds. :tumkiss:

Back