Lana meets her sisters at the bridge 07.28.2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

Poor Lana lost her battle last night. She had PT and was pretty lonely as of late...she had free run most of the time I was home because she wouldn't go far she slept upstairs in a small cage next to me and during the day she had run of the couch (which is a futon). Her age was unknown but they had to be close to a year and a half+.

Lana's backstory....
Lana and her 7 friends came to me back in April. There were 4 older girls and 4 little girls. Of the 4 oldest Lana was the shy one and yet for a rat that hadn't had much handling grew to trust quickly. Helped she loved frozen peas! The girls had feces, dead skin and goodness knows what else caked on their tails, the cage they were in had never been properly wiped down and the bedding that was "just changed" wasn't less then a week old. Isabella (her sister) had overgrown teeth that had been horribly ignored.

One sister of hers 'Skimmy' (most outgoing checking me out) passed away within a few days of their arrival. ..now that her family was safe she could give herself a long needed rest.

Lana, Isabella and Almond lived in a nice, clean, quieter 2 storey homemade cage...they were inseparable. Isabella fell ill a few months ago...having had so many hardships on her little life she passed away one Wednesday evening back in June. Almond had suddenly passed a few days before that making Isabella's passing more difficult.
This left poor Lana alone :(
I set her up in a little retirement cage that was easily moved room to room with me. I then set her up on the couch and in my room with a second home so she was never far.
Last night while we sat snuggling I noticed I felt little tickles on my neck and in my hair to look down and find mites on both of us! Ewwww
So I needed to bath us both quickly. I showered off using a medicated shampoo to help kill the mites. Then shampooed Lana in an gentle flea/tick/mite shampoo a friend of mine found for me that was safe for even the tiniest of critters.
This would prove too stressful for Lana and I did debate but I wanted to get those mites taken care of ASAP and had no revo on me.
*I'm now going to pick some up to dose everyone else*
She started gasping for air. I got out my little air pump which worked with Isabella when she would get gasping. Just a gentle push of air to get them breathing easier. She fought like mad but eventually gave in to her situation.
I know her sisters were waiting for her at the bridge and are all together again giving each other thorough ear cleanings and such :)
[emoji72]

Some photos of the sweet girl...first pic is the first one I ever got of her trying to find the peas without coming to me. And the last is from the other day and the last photo I took of her.
Miss you sweet girl! Give your sisters kisses for me!

e5etu4u5.jpg

ybaryhyb.jpg

jyqa8aza.jpg

juzy2yhu.jpg

Last edited:
RIP Miss Lana, play hard at the Bridge. You girls were so lucky to have finally found a forever home. I am sure she passed knowing she was loved and cared for.
:hugs:

I am so sorry for the loss if your beautiful girl. I live that photo if them all together in the hammock. Lana was clearly loved by her human and rat family. Rest well little one.

Oh Sterling, I am so very sorry about Lana. Such a beautiful and loving life you gave her and her sisters. I am just so sorry about this. I know you loved her so much, and vice versa. What was it that made her start to gasp for air?

Rest peacefully sweet Lana and I know you are with your sisters again. :rose2:

Thank you all. I have comfort in knowing she is with her sisters and my god-rat Esther who passed away the same day. It gave my best friend comfort knowing Esther had Lana to guide her and to meet all the other rats at the bridge including my hunky Sterling as her Esther was the "eager" girl lol she could always sense when I had the boys with me and would fight out of the cage.
She had a stroke a few weeks ago and then seemed to somewhat recover then gave back in

And Vladina I think it was the stress getting to her almost panicky. Not 100% sure though.

Back