Someone, please help! Growth in male rat's ear!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefawn

Hi! I'm fairly inexperienced with rat health issues, and I was wondering if I could get some help. My two and a half year old male, Julius Caesar, has been struggling for a while. He has been dealing with hind leg degeneration for several months, and now he has no use of his back legs. I have been inspecting and cleaning him every day to make sure he is clean and happy, but today I found something odd. Seemingly out of nowhere, he has a huge, bulbous growth in his ear. It's kind of squishy, like it's filled with liquid. He keeps trying to scratch it but he can't because of his legs. Can someone tell me more about this? I'm terrified and I don't know how to help him :(. Here is what it looks like.

Poor baby! I don't believe that is the right placement for ZGT, I think those have to be under the ear, but I could be wrong. Perhaps its a cyst or abscess. Before doing anything though I would wait until someone with more experience replies. Hope your boy feels better! :hugs:

It does look like a tumour and if he scratches it, it could bleed a lot. I would get that checked by a vet and see what they recommend. At his age, they may say to just keep watching it and also check for signs of discomfort or even pain.

If it does open and bleed your going to need to stop the bleeding so if applying pressure doesn't work make sure you have corn starch or flour to put on it and a vet you can immediately go to if necessary.

Is the lump on his ear or below his ear on his cheek? If it's on his ear, it's probably a lot easier for the vet to take care of it.

If it does open and bleed your going to need to stop the bleeding so if applying pressure doesn't work make sure you have corn starch or flour to put on it and a vet you can immediately go to if necessary.

Its not advisable to use flour or starch in or near the ear, as this can end up causing more infections. I only use these on outside injuries, toes,tails etc.

Hello, friends. Unfortunately, the night after I posted this, my little Caesar passed away while I was sleeping. He was old, and lived a good 2 1/2 year life. I miss him terribly. Thank you so much for your replies.

Back