Questions about PT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephye

Dat Rat Lady
It's with a heavy heart that I may more than likely be faced with that my first rat Zephye has PT. I just have a few questions since I haven't really experienced things first hand yet and want to be prepared. I have a vet appointment for medication on Monday.

He has been having issues grasping his food, I was wondering should I start feeding him some mushed oxbow instead? If so do you just soak it in some water and leave it in the cage or do you measure out an amount and leave that in the cage?

When will I know that he'll need someone to help feed him?

Should I move his food to his bottom tier? He's still active now but I don't know how much longer.

I read online that most rats only live 1-2 months after being diagnosed, have others had them live longer or is this something to expect?

How quick is the decline?

I might have more questions, but any help is appreciated. Thanks~

Last edited:
:censored: PT!! I'm so sorry you think you have a rattie with PT and I hope your wrong... I make a mix of 12 scoops of powder soy formula, 1 box of baby rice cereal, and 1 cup of ground oxbox - put in an air tight container. I then mix with strawberry ensure or water with needed. They lose weight fast with PT so you need to try and keep on top of it. You'll need bromocrytine and dexamethasone. It also will not hurt to get pepcid to ease their stomachs. Make sure they stay hydrated.

Invest in a small scale (I got a postal scale from Staples/Business Depot). That way you can truly monitor his weight.
I soak several blocks of Harlan, and change it in the morning and evening. So one bowl is in the cage, and one bowl is in the fridge soaking as it takes a while for things to soften up. All my rats eat the soft food, so I take that into consideration. If all the food is gone every time, then you will want to increase the amount until there is a small amount left over. Then you know there is always food available. Pour off the excess water as some PT rats tend to have a problem by inhaling water/food up their nose.
My girl Dixie was diagnosed over two months ago. We put her on a short course of Dex and started her on Cabergoline. We were very lucky this time - her tumour responded very well to the medication and she gained back the weight she lost and can hold food in her hands and eat normally again. I still keep the soaked blocks though, just in case.
I have also had rats where the tumour did not respond to the medication, but there is always hope! Dixie has taught me that. :)

I really hope I'm wrong with thinking he has PT but his symptoms are very classic signs so far, from lack of balance, unable to grasp food, loss of weight, etc. I'll try and see if Home Depot has any scales if not I'll check out Staples.

Thanks for your responses guys, I was also wondering. If he does have PT should I even try intros, is it safe to intro if he does have PT?? I'm getting a new rattie tomorrow (owner doesn't want him anymore and he's a lone rat) and wanted to add him to my rat family. I just don't want to stress Zephye out more if he does have PT or should I wait until he has medication?

Also, Zephye has just started puffing at his cagemate lately, has anyone ever had a rat completely go aggressive from PT and have to be separated? :c

I would hold off making any big changes until your boy is on meds and you can assess his response to them. Sometimes they go back to normal and sometimes they don't. I did do intros when my rat Poppy had a PT. She didn't really seem to care, so was basically unaffected. But you would have to make sure that the new rat wasn't bothering the sickie.

He hasn't been touching his mushed up oxbow. Should I try soaking it in like almond milk/soy milk/ something else? Or can I try just feed him baby food or baby cereal?

His lab block is the most balanced for him, so if you can get him to eat it that would be the best. You'll have to watch the mush though - I don't know how quickly something like almond milk would spoil.
If all else fails and he is not eating, then baby cereal/food is certainly OK.

Try grinding it up and putting it inside something. Mix it with baby food. Try putting food on your finger sometimes they will eat food that way.

Grinding it up would be a good idea! He ate a little of his oxbow but not much, hopefully I'll figure out a good way to get him to eat more.

I have mixed lab block powder with baby cereal and then mixed it with almond milk, but then you will have to guard him while he's eating as all the other rats will gorge themselves on it and it will be all gone. Maybe have plain soaked blocks in the cage, and pull him out for extra feedings would be the best solution.

So very sorry to hear about your baby.
PT SUCKS !!!

If he is not eating well on his own you will need to feed him via syringe. It is very important because as stated in earlier post - they lose weight very quickly with a PT. But some baby cereals & a few jars of baby food to have on hand. Creamed sweet corn is a favorite.

I'm going to the grocery store today to get some baby food/cereal/almond milk. I hope he starts to eat more soon :c he barely leaves his hut anymore, he did for a little bit last night to climb into his hammock but he spends all his time sleeping or lying down now.

I'm going to the grocery store today to get some baby food/cereal/almond milk. I hope he starts to eat more soon :c he barely leaves his hut anymore, he did for a little bit last night to climb into his hammock but he spends all his time sleeping or lying down now.

Your going to have to "rat proof" your cage! Make sure you have hammock hanging everywhere cause they will fall off shelves, ladders, etc and they need a "safety net" to catch them.

I made sure of that actually before his symptoms showed up since I was scared of them accidentally slipping after watching one of them lose their footing once. So everything is cushioned with a hammock! I'll probably end up getting more hammocks anyway since you can never have enough.

Yes, we have a vet appointment set up for 9:30 am tomorrow. That was the soonest they could get us in~

Good - so you are armed with all the info about meds to use? Some vets are very knowledgable about PT's, while others have no clue. If you know what to expect, then you can make an informed decision about his treatment.

I asked the rat rescue I'm a part of if this vet was knowledgeable. They said he knows lots about it and not to worry, I've gone to him before as he was a recommended vet on this forum when Zephye had his first signs of myco flare ups. So everything should be okay c: Yes, I have the info on the medication needed I asked a few other experienced rat owners about what treatments he needs.

Good Luck - stick to what you know and demand the meds you need. Sometimes we have to fight for our babies - its quite annoying!

Back