Does anyone know of any rats for adoption in Louisiana?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubonicZombie

Hello everyone.

I've spent many hours and days searching online for rat rescues and breeders that were either A. In the state of Louisiana or B. Not a 6 to 11-hour drive to get to the ratties.

I really, truly, want to get ratties from a shelter or rescue, but with so many outdated websites for this area (or contacts that don't keep in contact with me), I'm tempted to get the three males I've spotted at Petsmart.

I know, Petsmart isn't the best place to buy rats (with health & temperament issues), but if you guys can provide active links to rescues or breeders, then I'm all for it.

I'm just really tired at this moment from doing another internet sweep through dead links and finding out some really promising shelters are too far away for me to make the drive to get them.

By the way, I got my experience with rats from being a small animal sitter for friends with rats, ferrets, etc. for a couple of years. Said friends have lost those animals (old age), and I'm really missing their adorable faces; especially after playing with a couple of rats at a recent convention. Note: Said friends bought their animals from Petco or Petsmart.

I've always been the friend to care for the ratties of others, and now I want some ratties of my own to care for.

I've looked on Craigslist, but I've never answered an ad in classifieds before, and I'm very nervous about heading over to the home of a complete stranger.

If I do go that route, I'll make sure to have someone with me for safety sake.

You can just go with a buddy to the front door of their house or lobby of their building. Give them the cage and they can go inside and put the rats inside the cage and then bring them back out to you. You don't need to go into anyone's house and if you're still worried, they can include a cage with the rats and meet you at a coffee shop or public area.

Whenever i get something off of craigslist, I always opt to meet the person in a public place right in the middle of us. Like a walmart parking lot, in the middle of the day or something.

Just got to make sure that if it's a small animal that they are transferring from their cage to yours that they do it inside the car if it's a scared or jumpy animal.

Back