So there's this boy we're trying to rescue (Advice)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

Not rescue as in keep, but help train him to someone over in Johnson City a few hours from us who said she would be able to take him.

He's a lil baby still, dumbo mismarked blue capped boy. His ears look SO big on him right now, it's frankly adorable.

Anyway, I went to Petsmart to check their toys because sometimes their stuff goes on closeout and I pick a few things up for cheap. I asked if they had any adoptables because they had one adult-sized male hooded in their rat tank. He said that they did, a boy they got in a few weeks ago who isn't SICK, but it looks like one eye is smaller than the other. Nothing else seems to be wrong with him besides that one eye always looks like it's squinting while the other is fully open and bright. The petsmart animal person I talked to said they had taken him to their vet 3 times to make sure he wasn't sick, but he can't be 'sold' because of this 'defect' so they are going to adopt him out. His adoption 'fee' is just signing a waver saying that you can't return him as if you bought him.

i3gt3l.jpg

This is a picture of him (I have small hands) with his squinty-looking eye.

For those who have rats forever, do you think this is an issue? The boy is probably around 6 weeks I'd say because he's still itty bitty, but he's energetic, shy, a bit on the snuggly side. Didn't appear to be sick otherwise. Just one eye seems smaller than the other.

I realize that this also can cause possible issues later in this boys life, but most people don't know that Petsmart does occasionally do adoptions and I'd like to give this boy a chance at a good life, not sit in the back of petsmart forever.

So... what do you think? It's just his eye as far as they can tell (Mind you, Banfield vets can only do the simple stuff basically).

Sounds like micro-eye or micropthalamia. It's a genetic default where the eyeball is smaller in a full-size socket. If it's minor they will be able to see with that eye a little, but most times are blind. I have a girl now who has micro-eye in both eyes, she's fully blind and coming up on 28 or 29 mo. I have had a few of these special rats and there have been no complications with their eyes at all :)

That puts my worries on that to rest then :) Either getting him adopted today or I'll be driving an hour out to meet someone to hand him off to someone else who can care for him

For people wondering what micro-eye looks like

This was my first girl Lucine, where I did the whole research thing and checked with my vet on any future issues with her eyes :D

Lucine2Feb9.jpg~original

Right now I have Lark. She used to bite but she's actually very sweet once you go slow :)

sep8blackberkgirlmicroeye4.jpg

sep8blackberkgirlmicroeye.jpg~original

She's also a crazy barberer LOL

Apt1414Lark2.jpg~original

Back