Making your own levels and Flux's new cage!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

Okay, so awhile ago I did a cage swap before we were going to intro Goliath and Flux again. Things hit the fan and we didn't do intros for awhile until the horrible intro that ended up with Goliath having a laceration on his leg which I am happy say is healing quite well and hopefully will be gone by the end up next week I think.

Anyway, Goliath's cage was only ever supposed to be a temp cage because both boys when stretched out are about as long as it is wide, but it makes an OK temp cage.

So I picked up a cage on craigslist for 5 bucks, has minimal rust and is a prevue pet cage that normally sells around $150 and can fit up to 5 boy rats!

But it doesn't have any shelves.

Last night I put cardboard up on the sides up to about 2-3 inches so I could put bedding in it because it has that awful grate under that. Cardboard went over that, cardboard went up on the sides and he's good to go. Made a laddy, attached two baskets and made him a 'turtle shell' hide out of a green basket on the bottom, but still, he doesn't have any actual levels to run around on.

How would I go about making levels for this cage? It's a really nice, big prevue pet cage. I could in theory order some shelves FROM prevue, but I think it might be cheaper to make my own. Any ideas?

Flux's cage on top of his new one (His is the green bin one, the one to the right is Goliath's cage now)
o0vyud.jpg

Here is the cage after decorating and modding the sides so I can put bedding in it. Flux seems happy in it, he has room to run around, but I want levels in it for him.
fz4xs0.jpg

not sure if this could be an option, just something that came to mind. What about coroplast? It is like a plastic cardboard, quite sturdy for a little rat I would assume, and for the most part is quite easy to clean. You could attach it with zip ties for a more permanent shelf, unsure about how to make it only temp (able to take out for cleaning)
And this could either be a pro or con, but here in BC you can get different colours. Red, blue, green, white and sometimes a clear-ish one. Lots of people use it to make guinea pig cages.
It may work :)

Make levels by cable tying baking cooling racks into the cage and covering them with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on.

Huh, didn't think about those. It seems I can get coroplast at Home Depot and Dollar store has both cooling rats and dish drain trays... seems I'll be making a stop in the next day or so... and I'll probably make another ladder for him. I know that nails will collect the smell of pee and whatnot eventually, but I picked up some hardwood dowels and used some tack nails to make him a really lock ladder. Gonna make a few more cause Goliath's cage, the ramps are plastic and he has to run up them to get traction.

Back