Preputial gland abscess?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

Mister Moose has a grape size lump just above and right of his winky. It feels hard and round and kind of moveable. He's had 2 abscesses (not from any apparent injury) on the other side of his winky this year, both opened and drained and healed nicely. Just a touch concerned because this one us a bit larger and he's acting rather glum.

I have clavamox, doxy, baytril on hand. Also gabapentin and meta - should he have one for pain?

He's scheduled for neuter next week, so I'm worrying this will prevent it, and if he is neutered will he get post neuter abscesses?

Grrrr :/
nuzu2ube.jpg

I would check him for a plug and see if that stuff will come out of there. a lot of time it fills up the shaft with puss. It seems like a large lump and a little lower but his willy looks likes it has puss on it. I would start there and maybe try some warm soaks. I would start abs as well.

Peanut my (1 lb rat) has had 3 there this year. Two on one side and one on the other - all 3 have cleared up on there own. Sebastian (RIP my baby) had two on the same side - also cleared up on there own once they popped. Good luck on the neuter - Clark had abscesses from his neuter because he had a reaction to the stitches. I now request no stitches.

It opened up yesterday - big hole, stinks to high h*ll. He freaks big time if I try to squeeze more pus out or clean it. If dr p still thinks it's okay to go ahead with the neuter I'm sure he'll clean it out and send him home with abs. I sure hope the neuter helps curb these things. They are sooooooo not pleasant.

That may be a record for biggest abscess ever. I never seen one that huge there. usually ours get just a bit bigger than a pea.

That may be a record for biggest abscess ever. I never seen one that huge there. usually ours get just a bit bigger than a pea.

That's why I was so worried about it. It was like grape+ sized and I was worried it was a tumor, especially since the day before it finally opened he was being lethargic and mopey. I'm sure it must have been very uncomfortable for him. He was back to his old self after it opened.

Dont forget to check for a penis plug as well. We always had icky stuff in there when they had these infected glands :)

Back