I want to rescue Feeders

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePokemonMaster

How do you rescue Feeders? I want to save some from being eaten. I see people on Craigslist selling them. Should I buy them?

How do you rescue Feeders? I want to save some from being eaten. I see people on Craigslist selling them. Should I buy them?

if you BUY from a nasty breeder, you aren't rescuing sadly. You are telling them there's a demand for their "product" and they will just produce more luckless rats. You are also lining their pockets.

There are 2 ways to rescue feeders. find the ads where someone is giving a rat away for free as food (or the snake wouldn't eat them, etc). Or adopt 2nd hand feeder rats from a rescue.

You have to be prepared for wrong sex info from the feeder person, health issues and temperament issues.

Being a new rat owner, its better to learn as much as you can with your present little ladies, before deciding on getting more or rescuing.

We'll said lilspaz. It pains me to read of ppl who regularly "rescue" from feeder bins. It just feeds the horrible industry.

Like lilspaz said, check cl for ppl giving away rats that have been rejected by snakes. *if* you are in a position to have more. Be aware that feeder babies can sometimes be very sickly, mite infested, etc, so be prepared to vet any you take and take precautions to protect your current rats from catching anything from them.

if you BUY from a nasty breeder, you aren't rescuing sadly. You are telling them there's a demand for their "product" and they will just produce more luckless rats. You are also lining their pockets.

There are 2 ways to rescue feeders. find the ads where someone is giving a rat away for free as food (or the snake wouldn't eat them, etc). Or adopt 2nd hand feeder rats from a rescue.

You have to be prepared for wrong sex info from the feeder person, health issues and temperament issues.

Being a new rat owner, its better to learn as much as you can with your present little ladies, before deciding on getting more or rescuing.
You're right, I'm probably not prepared. I'm just frustrated from seeing all the Feeders on CL.

As lilspaz68 said, you get rats being given away free as the snake wouldn't eat it or rats being given away as free.
The only time it is a rescue if you pay for a feeder is when it is a tiny amount and the seller is going out of business, or if you are adopting from a rescue or a shelter.

If you do help rescues, be prepared for pregnancies, vet bills, have cages, etc
Rehoming is difficult and a huge responsibility .... been there, done that as I have been involved in rescue for over 9 years

I go through ads and email people info about rehoming and suggestions about screening .... from an anonymous email address as I have been threatened by snake owners.
It can be very time consuming but if that is something you would be interested in, I can provide some suggestions/info
Sometimes I receive emails from people who had no idea of the dangers so I know that I am helping some rats (and other small pets)

i tired the whole "save the feeders" thing once i got 4 baby boys lost all 4 within 2 weeks it was horrible
best bet would be to check local pet groups for people giving away rats pets or not if theyre free 9 times outta 10 someone will get them and use them as food

Back